Planet Of The Apes

Blitzkrieg said:
Watch the DVD commentary. Tim Burton comes across as a real dipshit, and basically said he ended it that way just to have a twist like in the original, but something different that no-one would expect, and pretty much admits that it makes no sense.
Tim Burton is a wanker. Just on POTA though, he kicks ass on everything else, especially the Batman movies, there should be a law that only he can make them.

For Independance Day: As is our policy we won't reveal the exciting conclusion but will offer a parting thought. Downing a fifteen-mile-diameter saucer would be a disaster. Krauss estimates it would weigh about 100 billion tons and that dropping it from a height of about a mile would release more than 10,000 times as much energy as the nuclear bomb used on Hiroshima.

The Abyss: Harris decides to stay on bottom which proves to be a wise move. He's taken in by the aliens who place him in a room and do a Moses-style parting of the waters to provide him with a breathing space. They turn on the TV to make him feel at home and the reception is exceptional. This is all the more impressive since they're on the bottom of the ocean and no human has ever figured out how to transmit electromagnetic waves at TV frequency through salt water. Apparently they have cable TV.

The Hulk: The increase in strength with morphing is likewise ridiculous. At one point the Hulk overturns a 65 ton Abrams battle tank. This alone would require an increase in strength from human form of about a factor of 650. However, the Hulk then grabs the barrel of an Abrams tank, spins around and throws the entire tank several hundred meters. Compare this to the Olympic hammer throw which propels a 7. 257 kg ball a distance of around 80 meters. The tank is over 8000 times more massive and is thrown at least 10 times further. This suggests that the Hulk is at least 100,000 times stronger than his human form.
In order to spin and throw a tank, the Hulk would also have to be far more massive than the tank because he would have to create a huge centripetal force on the tank to make it travel in a circular path while being spun. Newton's third law tells us that forces always come in pairs which are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. While it's being spun, the tank will create a force acting on the Hulk which is just as large as the centripetal force acting on the tank. The force would immediately pull the Hulk off-balance unless he's significantly more massive than the tank.

An Olympic hammer thrower, for example, is around 15 times more massive than the hammer. Using this conservative figure (since the tank is hurled much further than the hammer), the Hulk would have to weigh at least 975 tons (8.86 thousand kg) in order to throw the tank. However, the Hulk's volume seemed, if anything, no larger than the tank he threw. Density = mass / volume and so the Hulk's density would have to be at least 15 times more dense than the tank's density. If only 10 % of the tank's volume were steel, the Hulk's density would be 1.5 times higher than solid steel!

Since the Hulk has less area under his feet than the tank's tracks, the pressure his feet exert on the ground would probably be at least 100 times higher than the tank. He would sink when walking on soft ground or sand. When he jumped in the air the pressure exerted on the ground would increase dramatically. Hence, the Hulk would be breaking pavement under his feet not just on the landing from an incredible leap but also on the take-off.

The Core: Unfortunately, the plan required sacrificing a crew member who had to enter a duct with a temperature of "9000 degrees" wearing only a suit designed to resist "5000 degrees". For comparison consider that the temperature underneath the Hiroshima bomb was about 3900 degrees Celsius or 7000 degrees F. At 9000 degrees C or F the walls of the duct would be glowing with a bright white light. Walking into it would be worse than walking into a nuclear bomb blast. By comparison the movie depiction is outright silly.

This is the geekiest site on the internet!

I like Tim Burton just for "Ed Wood" which is a brilliant film. And also "Edward Scissorhands" is fantastic. I can take or leave all his other films though.

I like Tim Burton just for "Ed Wood" which is a brilliant film. And also "Edward Scissorhands" is fantastic. I can take or leave all his other films though.

Don't forget the very underrated, strangely maligned "Mars Attacks!". That movie rocks so much. :headbang:

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've disliked any of his movies. Not very many directors that I can say that about.