Playing while sick

vespiz

Mixing!
Feb 15, 2007
Tampere, Finland
metalmixing.com
... sucks major ass. Not only do you feel like shit, it also makes you feel like you're somehow letting people down by not giving 100% ('cause you just can't).

I just had a great/miserable weekend playing two gigs with nothing more serious than a common cold with moderate fever (37-38d Celcius, I still felt like shit). One of them was in Sauna Open Air metal festival. Both gigs were booked only one week in advance. But rather than cancel (since that is not an option!) I just took some meds and hoped to stay upright.

Must have worked, since nobody commented on it except those who know me.

Anyway, just venting here a bit. Nothing like a broken leg just before getting on stage, but pisses me off since this wasn't the first time!
Anyone else with some horror stories?

:ill:

doing tech work for a performance one time...arrived at the venue only to find:

a) no help or assistants that work for the venue
b) locked control room
c) windows 95-based external sound board (connected via networking cable...?)
d) NO SOUND SYSTEM. AT ALL. Nothing, zip, nada.

Broke into the control room sense hey, no one was around to tell me no; reconnected and turned on the portable foldable ancient sound board complete with no labels and a broken LCD screen, managed to get the main singer to bring his own PA system and set it up for him on stage, watched rehearsal (it had a dance program too) and wrote the lighting scheme, sound checked the PA system with the room and locked everything in place.

oh yeah...I was performing at the same time on stage.