PLEASE don't laugh at my n00b question! (Help me instead... :)

powerlessking

King of Metal
Jan 6, 2006
Ft. Collins, CO
Hey,
I'm new to this forum and I came here to ask desperately for help in a matter that's killing me.

I've been recording demos for a really long time, and frankly I'm proud of the sound I achieve on them.
But, I've never actually RECORDED drums in my life (though I've mixed them before).
I've been reading a lot about mic placement, room setup, etc. etc. etc. but there's one thing I still don't get (probably because it's too obvious and people don't talk about it):

HOW TO GET THE TRACKS INTO THE COMPUTER?!

I realize I need a console and a shitload of preamps, but how do I record them separately to the computer? Do I not? Do I need an ADAT machine?
What I just want to record straight to my computer?

Please, tell me what to buy, or how to do it!

Thank you all very much

you need a breakout-box/interface such as RME Fireface, Focusrite Saffire etc.

connect your preamp outs to the breakout box and that to the computer (via fireface or however the device gets connected)

The Focusrite Saffire PRO 26 I/O (thats a total of 52 ins and outs) is the way to go if you want enough inputs to record a large drumkit. You get 8 preamps built in and can attach up to 16 more using ADAT (from a Focusrite Octopre for example).

What would the difference be between something like that and something like the ALESIS Multimix 16 Firewire?

I realize that it's prolly a stupid question, but I've been learning a lot on this forum!

Quality, the RME etc are way better sounding.
you don't need a mixer for recording.
Although you're right, it's basically the same aand both would work, it's just that you don't really need the EQ and Faders....but you do need quality ;)

Stay away from Alesis..... The Alesis Multimix 16 Firewire looks like an audio interface & control surface in one... with the clasic crap Alesis FX... The difference is quality... whats your Budget? If it's not enough for say RME Fireface 400 or 800 save!! You will be better off in the long run.

err just noticed its not a control surface

if you want something on the cheap get yourself a digidesign 001 on ebay. Black lion audio does a upgrade on clock and Mic pre on these now and you can run up to 16 channels with this. I seen them sell for like 200 bucks on ebay now:headbang:. Only downside digi does not support so you can only go up to 6.4 on protools. But you can run any other software (cubase/saw studio ext..) with it as well and stay up to date:headbang:

The easiest way for you do record drums is with a firewire interface (such as

the fireface, firepod, firestudio, saffire, as mentioned above) I recommend

any Presonus unit, whether its the firestudio or the firepod. The firestudio has

8 mic pres built in and allows for 16 more to be utilized through

ADAT.check it out here. The firepod is a little bit less expensive and it too has 8 built

in pres but no adat so you are stuck with those 8 pres unless you get another

firepod then you can daisy chain up to 3 firepods giving you 24 simultaneous inputs. firepod

Anyway check out those presonus units and look into some other firewire

interfaces. Good luck.

Jordan

Thanx a lot guys, that helped me a lot.
One last question is: How can I possibly get more than 8 channels on the Firepod without an ADAT if there's only 8 preamps?

Thanx