please help me with building up a new recording pc

hoehlentroll

Mar 15, 2007
Mannheim, Germany
could you please help me with building up a new recording pc.
I have following pieces on my list:
a Q6600 Quad-Core processor
a MSI P6N SLI FI wich has a 1394a (quite rare these days I figure)
and 2 gigs of ddr-2 ram
still got an 250gb hard disc (ide)

but I still have some Questions.

1. is the quad core any good for recording or should I pick up a dual core instead. what about daw supporting dual/quad core?
2. how much ram would you suggest? it isn't that important for recording right?
3. what about a ide drive, will a s-ata be A LOT faster for recording purposes?
4. I'm thinking about picking up a alesis IO|26 for recording, will it work togehter?

thx in advance, your help is appreciated. sorry for my english ;(

I would go with 2 seperate sata drives, one for the OS and one for files. Use an exernal firewire for recording. Yes, SATA is alot faster than IDE. Go with more RAM, if you got the money for 4, it wouldn't hurt. I would buy a cheaper MOBO with no firewire input, and just get a separate firewire card instead(some of the built in chips on motherboards suck). And quad core should be fine to use with most DAW's.

thanks man. So probably I will keep the motherboard (build in graphic card) and the IDE for now and will update it later on, since I'd like to use the money for the extra ram, as you said.

I would go with 2 seperate sata drives, one for the OS and one for files. Use an exernal firewire for recording. Yes, SATA is alot faster than IDE. Go with more RAM, if you got the money for 4, it wouldn't hurt. I would buy a cheaper MOBO with no firewire input, and just get a separate firewire card instead(some of the built in chips on motherboards suck). And quad core should be fine to use with most DAW's.

+1..for sure with the 2 hard drives , just pick up a SATA Hard drive for your 2nd drive and use that for your Audio , that is were you will need to be faster the IDE will be fine for your OS..I just recently went to a Dual Core what a amazing difference...just imagine the Quad..

thanks man. So probably I will keep the motherboard (build in graphic card) and the IDE for now and will update it later on, since I'd like to use the money for the extra ram, as you said.

The more RAM i say the better..you never know, I do not worry about on board video..I always use a graphics card , cause I go Dual monitors..Good Luck with the system

I was just reading on a site that Oz posted that there is no performance gain on audio apps between duo/quad core
untill now! :saint:
I just ordered my stuff at my local dealer.
processor: q6600 quad core at 2,4 ghz
Miditower with a 400w power block
2gb of aenon ram (will be upgraded in the near future)
MSI P35 Neo-F
Saphire HD3850 with 256 mb ddr-3 ram
Firewire controler (card); no onboard firewire but extra card
ide 250gb samsung drive (will be updated with a 500gb s-ata soon)
dvd-rec.-drive

hopefully that is enough for the next years, I'm fuckin broken. :erk: thx everyone for the help!
edit: just forgot I do need some monitors too. more money to spend. ok this is another story :(

My quad core is running pretty damn peachy, but they are @ 3.6ghz so its quite hard to tell from my last system whether the extra cores are being beneficial or whether its just the sheer speed of the cores (my bets the latter).

Edit: There again, seeing all cores working at only 17% in a full on mix plugged up is leading me to think twice about that review right now..