Please help my community!

yeah, one or two companies owning all the produce in america (read: kroger) is a great idea.

edit: @ lizzuuurd

lizard said:
that and agricultural megacompanies.

Again, I'd say yes and no.

Large farms have definitely choked out the small ones, but small farmers that have refused to adapt to new technologies have killed themselves.

My families farm has always been ready for the next technology, and we've grown much more rapidly than most other farms around here. I wish we were much bigger, but you can only grow so fast.

I see plenty of people that had to give up farming because they were content with how big they were. Once you're content, you're dead. Any business needs that attitude. Farmers that treat the farm as a life style will die. You have to think of it as a business.

Nate The Great said:
Yes and no ...

Sounds a like a very frustrating place to be if you are a businessman with some vision ... the hardest obstacle to overcome is obviously the thinking of the locals.

lurch70 said:
Sounds a like a very frustrating place to be if you are a businessman with some vision ... the hardest obstacle to overcome is obviously the thinking of the locals.

I finally feel like at least my community is adapting to technology, but it's because of younger people starting to take over jobs that old people are finally retiring from. Plus, the internet is FINALLY becoming a common way to communicate. Hell, I just taught my 86 year old grandmother to email and use the internet.

I still feel like there's a ways to go, but over the next 10 years things will have to change for survival. Small communities tend to survive at any cost, so I just hope we don't have too many casualties along the way (more business closing down).

We're actually extremely lucky to have that theater lurch is so interested in. It's all run by donations. It's completely non-profit. Which explains why we get a movie 6 weeks after it's released.

Nate The Great said:
Real Estate is probably as cheap here as any where else in the USA. 3 bedroom house with an acre would probably be $40,000 to $75,000, depending on how new it is.
JAYSUS! You know, my friend is moving to Montana in a few months, I think I'll visit him and scope out some property. Buy some plot of land and rent it to him until I move out there in 5 years so then we can get all Brokeback without a mortgage and shit.
lizard said:
it depends, does he maudlin during st. paddy's day festivities, whinging about the auld sod?
hahahaha

thats so fuckin cheap! hey nad, if we went in together i think we could buy the whole state

I posted this a while back. It's me in the combine picking corn.

IMG_0688.JPG

haha, is that pic big enough?
youre probably the person to ask a question ive been pondering: the building behind my house just got demolished and the 'dozer is still sittng there. i was wondering what kind of torque they produce. do you know? the vehicle itself looks like it weighs several tons, i cant imagine how much torque it must make to move large amounts of earth as well as its own heft.

dont you have a tractor or two? those things are fucking torque beasts. ask your dad. i must know

Driving the combine,
driving the tractor.
Driving the combine,
driving the tractor.
Driving the combine,
driving the tractor.
Driving the combine,
driving the tractor.
Driving the combine,
driving the tractor.

Oh man I gotta find that CD now.

i remember seeing the preview for that movie while i watching something else. i laughed at the irony of using the concept of torque in a motorcycle movie.
the other funny bit was that they tried to pass it off as a real movie.