Hey vocalists I need your help here

Demilich

Remember
Apr 24, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I wanna buy a mic for my friend for Xmas but I'm kinda cheap (lookin to spend under $100) and have no idea what I'm looking for in that range.

Any ideas? It would probably mostly be for home use and MCing at small parties

shure SM58 is an extremely safe bet that always works

it's almost exactly $100

Remember that some mics need phantom-power to work, so if he don't have a mixer or preamp that has phantom-powering, keep away from those mics. I can't remember if SM58 nees that.

Remember that some mics need phantom-power to work, so if he don't have a mixer or preamp that has phantom-powering, keep away from those mics. I can't remember if SM58 nees that.

the sm58 is a dynamic microphone so the answer is no.

Thanks guys! The SM58 is a safe bet for sure, I was looking at it this morning.
For one thing, I know I've heard the guy talking about them before. I think he had one once, but someone stole it or something.

Its a little more than I wanted to spend, but hey, thats what friends are for right?

look for a decent used one

they're built like tanks so if it's not too beat up you should be good even for giving it away

I wish I had an SM58 for a dick. For real though, they're really good microphones. I've had mine for a few years and never had any problems.

the sm58 is a dynamic microphone so the answer is no.

Indeed, that's right. I only have condenser mics, so I had no idea about this mic.

Overall, it seems to be a very good all around mic and most likely the best choice.

I'll take that! Not gonna give it to him as an Xmas gift because I got him something else today, but maybe for the birthday!

Or I'll sell it to him for $80 :idea:

Matt,

I spoke out of my ass. What I have is the SM58's little runt Asperger's syndrome inflicted cousin, the PG58. It too is a dynamic vox mic, but I don't think it possesses the level of quality that you're looking for. What a shame. (Back to the trunk of my car it goes)