Please tell me you didnt expect St. Anger to be good.

Death Cube K

Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
And please tell me that you saw this coming a mile away.

I mean, come on. Metal wasnt the thing in the 90's, so they went more framed, and, in my opinion, sterile to fit in with the grunge and alternative crowd.

Now that grunge is dead, and standard metal is in, they come out with St. Anger.

It sounds just like another Slipknot album, but just... worse, with even less technicle skill. THat, and the guy from Suicidle Tendancies (?) singing back up just doesnt work.

As a matter of fact I liked the song. It's a catchy/fun song and I don't have any problems to admit it, the only thing I complain about is the production. The drum sound overpowers the guitars, specially on the chorus parts. Oh and btw, i'm probably deaf because I can't hear a single part that sounds like Slipknot.

As a matter of fact I liked the song. It's a catchy/fun song and I don't have any problems to admit it, the only thing I complain about is the production. The drum sound overpowers the guitars, specially on the chorus parts. Oh and btw, i'm probably deaf because I can't hear a single part that sounds like Slipknot.

The entire song ripped off every single band like Slipknot. Listen to the guitar lines: thrash just like Slipknot and any other heavier nu metal band out there.

And then theres the bassist who sounds like the chap from Evanescence.

Hetfield's vocals are so weak, I was almost surprised. Lars was really struggling to keep up the pace as well, heh. His grimaces on the video are amusing. I thought the song was pretty annoying, to be honest. Still better than the crap In Flames are spouting out now though.

Actually St. Anger was lot better than what I expected. It's actually mediocre. All the hype about "heavier" sound wasn't complete bullshit like I feared, but just half bullshit. Hetfield's 90's singing style doesn't fit song at all and the drumming is rather boring and sounds bit weird, but I liked it lot better than load/reload. But I won't go judging the whole album based on one song, or even the song itself which is cut two minutes for the radio/video.

People who say they are like Slipknot now have obviously have not heard Slipknot. I don't see horrible screaming, ridiculous distortion or fuck every other word.

Death Cube K said:
The entire song ripped off every single band like Slipknot. Listen to the guitar lines: thrash just like Slipknot and any other heavier nu metal band out there.

And then theres the bassist who sounds like the chap from Evanescence.

Can you pin point me exactly what riff sounds like a slipknot song? and since when is Slipknot thrash? anyhow, one of the riffs sounds a lot like something Testament would put out. The production is shitty as hell (IMO), but at least they tried to be a metal band again.

What it is is they managed to stay on the selling out path and go back to metal at the same time. (Even the logo reflects this, which is funny) If you can still consider it metal, which I'm not sure I do. More like, let's combine heavy guitars with the poor songwriting skills influences of bands considered to be metal by the American mainstream. Maybe we'll latch on to both factions of fans this time.

But anyway, the Metallica discussion is getting a bit old. We don't need them, never truly have. There's a whole bunch of great metal out there, let's cut down on the Metallica threads a bit...leave most of em to the Linkin Park board.