Do you really want to be considered "Trendy"

My tastes moved into the underground after I became disillusioned with the relative lack of true creativity within the nu-metal genre. Now I feel that there is more creativity, talent and passion within the one band band in the underground scene than can be found in a hundred incipid rap-rock clones. But then again, nu-metal does have its place. Albums from a band such as Opeth are a gradually fulfilling experience - you're swept up into the song as it passes, and then into the rest of the album by the desire to see where the music goes next. When someone like Korn releases an album, the gratification is immediate, but less long-lasting and as such less-satisfying. If I don't feel like listening to all of Opeth's Blackwater Park (rare, but sometimes I don't!), then I may well shove a couple of Korn songs on for a quick blast.
Nu-metal is the junk food of the rock world - short-lived, of no nutritional value, ut satisfying while it lasts. :)

Originally posted by spacebunni
Regarding originality...I, for many many years, have thought Nine Inch Nails had the edge on original music, I have never faulted NiN on their music or even the remixes that have been produced...UNTIL THE FRAGILE, but I am sorry to say that album did nothing for me...I felt let down by Trent Reznor for writing an album that (to me) seemed soooo below par, and for not producing something as fantastic as his previous works...

But Hey...thats just my opinion and lets face it - it doesn't mean shit to anyone else... :loco:

Hehe I disagree there, I love the fragile, just as much as I the other albums. I'm not sue if i said it on this or another board but I thought it was the logical progression, and that he's matured since TDS

Originally posted by dill_the_devil
As for The Fragile - maybe it's just me being something of an industrial music newbie, but I really love that album! I like music to have something of a grandiose, sweeping feel to it across an entire album. I like albums that seem structured and the songs follow on and take the listener through moods as the album progresses. So, in that respect, I think The Fragile is a triumph. Taken as individual songs, however, the pieces on The Fragile are less satisfying than songs on Pretty Hate Machine. I feel TF is an album that has to be listened to as a whole, in one sitting. This can work to its detriment, of course.
I think the fragile is the least accessible, and NIN had a lot to luive up to. I also think many of the people who dislike it now will grow to like it and it will be considered one of his best works in a few years (I hope :) )

Finally I've said this before but not here. What I fear about metal becoming mainstream is the loss of metal's integrity. I can just imaging having boy and girl metal bands. I think most metal would become about major labels and sales, not the music.

It would annoy me if when u said u listened to metal people assumed you were just following the fashion, which I would consider a great insult.

I know exactly what you mean about integrity. I hate the idea of legions of teenagers going around wearing black, wallet chains dangling down to the floor and dyeing their hair black because it has suddenly become fashionable. It would seem to cheapen the style of music we have loved for so long!

:( All thats happening is the people that usually shout "greebo" will now be shouting "trendy" instead its just not right. All we are getting is a bunch of glory seekers into our culture and i for one hate it.:(

Yeah, that would piss me off majorly. It would mean for many metal fans it would be an image thing which it really shouldn't be. I very much doubt however they'd get in2 decent music like Opeth, I have a feeling they'd stick to bands like Papa Roach, Slipknot and Linkin Park.

I also have a feeling the people would shout "trendy" but still shout "goth" and insults like that, and hopefully they'd actually know the difference!!!!

I am kinda disheartened to say that my image is plain...

but I am glad too... I used to be very much into punk when I was in my teens and early 20's, and used to have the mohican, tartan bondages, the dog collar..the whole bit...but I felt original and individual then...these days there is no way anyone can be original - and I am also pleased that no one can judge me...

I work in the music industry and have to make an effort somewhat in my office...people I work with are mainly into commercial dance, when they met me they had no idea I would be into metal, goth, alternative etc... It is nice to shock people like that, and it promotes good debate and conversation about the music I am into...because they think to be into those "alternative" music styles I am expected to dress a certain way, act a certain way and snarl at pop acts and all the other "stereotypical" actions...but there views are not without validity...if you go to into town (especially my town) you will see a whole menagerie of youngsters who all claim to be Soooo individual and all into Rock music...but every single one of them look the same...

You get what I am trying to say I'm sure :loco:

Lee u have kinda an insiders view of the metal industry don't u? How did u choose badns to sign and sutff? And how did u set up candlelight records?

Well Candlelight started as a mail order. I was buying direct from then fledgling labels like Relapse, Seraphic Decay, Nuclear Blast, Deathlike Silence, etc. Mainly 7" & LPs. I was also buying some stock for Plastic Head who were only based about 15 miles away from me. They offered me a job and when I was there I thought I'd get involved in releasing a couple of CDs for fun. I signed Emperor and Enslaved for a MLP each and decided to release both together as a split CD. The bands got $500 each for recording, and I had the distro set up via Plastic Head. The CD sold really well, so it ended up becoming a full time thing, something I wasn't really expecting and didn't really want. The rest I had to learn as I went along, to both good and bad effect. The one thing I really learned is that I don't have the patience to properly run a business. The financial side of the label was a mess at the beginning, and I nearly lost Opeth because of it as it took me nine months to pay the studio bill for "orchid". Luckily they stuck with me, but bands like Monumentum and Endura, etc, went elsewhere (to Misanthropy, who really should have paid me commision for A&R services over the years.. :)).

The only quality i look for in a band is the fact that I actually like them. I want to release CDs that I would otherwise be buying in the stores myself. I know of labels and A&R people who simply follow trends rather than a gut instinct and I could never understand that ethic. I'd rather take a risk with an unknown band than sign a re-formed bunch of losers who were never that good in the first place.

It's certainly more difficult for a label to get established in today's environment, which is why I made this deal with Earache for my new label "Elitist Records". Earache take care of the business and distribution through their normal channels, and I can continue doing what I love, and that's finding bands and getting them on to CD.

Lee

Lee

if you go to into town (especially my town) you will see a whole menagerie of youngsters who all claim to be Soooo individual and all into Rock music...but every single one of them look the same...

Yeah... I said ages ago that the next rocker I hear who answers the question 'why do you dress like that' with 'because I'm an individual' is going to receive a punch in the face care of yours truly. If you were truly individual, you'd be walking around naked with clothes tatooed on or something, you self-important, glassy-eyed, slack-jawed sheep!!!
Sorry... I get quite vehement on that subject... :)
I dress the way I do (current costume - Slipknot T-Shirt, green combat trousers, wallet chain, various couloured bangles, two spiked bracelets) because I like it. No other reason. I don't make any false claim to 'individuality' or expression of personality of any of that bullshit...I just like the style and I'm comfortable wearing it. I typically go round looking something like a skater, and I can't even stand up on a skateboard! I just like the look. Simple as that.

I am kinda disheartened to say that my image is plain...

but I am glad too... I used to be very much into punk when I was in my teens and early 20's, and used to have the mohican, tartan bondages, the dog collar..the whole bit...but I felt original and individual then...these days there is no way anyone can be original - and I am also pleased that no one can judge me...

I work in the music industry and have to make an effort somewhat in my office...people I work with are mainly into commercial dance, when they met me they had no idea I would be into metal, goth, alternative etc... It is nice to shock people like that, and it promotes good debate and conversation about the music I am into...because they think to be into those "alternative" music styles I am expected to dress a certain way, act a certain way and snarl at pop acts and all the other "stereotypical" actions...but there views are not without validity...if you go to into town (especially my town) you will see a whole menagerie of youngsters who all claim to be Soooo individual and all into Rock music...but every single one of them look the same...

Yeah that annoys me to! Some of my friends try their hardest to fit into one image, they won't listen to music if it doesn't fit with the image - its so pointless. I also find many goths etc. don't claim to be individuals, I certainly don't at least not by image, its just how I dress

Originally posted by Lee_B

Well Candlelight started as a mail order. I was buying direct from then fledgling labels like Relapse, Seraphic Decay, Nuclear Blast, Deathlike Silence, etc. Mainly 7" & LPs. I was also buying some stock for Plastic Head who were only based about 15 miles away from me. They offered me a job and when I was there I thought I'd get involved in releasing a couple of CDs for fun. I signed Emperor and Enslaved for a MLP each and decided to release both together as a split CD. The bands got $500 each for recording, and I had the distro set up via Plastic Head. The CD sold really well, so it ended up becoming a full time thing, something I wasn't really expecting and didn't really want. The rest I had to learn as I went along, to both good and bad effect. The one thing I really learned is that I don't have the patience to properly run a business. The financial side of the label was a mess at the beginning, and I nearly lost Opeth because of it as it took me nine months to pay the studio bill for "orchid". Luckily they stuck with me, but bands like Monumentum and Endura, etc, went elsewhere (to Misanthropy, who really should have paid me commision for A&R services over the years.. :)).

The only quality i look for in a band is the fact that I actually like them. I want to release CDs that I would otherwise be buying in the stores myself. I know of labels and A&R people who simply follow trends rather than a gut instinct and I could never understand that ethic. I'd rather take a risk with an unknown band than sign a re-formed bunch of losers who were never that good in the first place.

It's certainly more difficult for a label to get established in today's environment, which is why I made this deal with Earache for my new label "Elitist Records". Earache take care of the business and distribution through their normal channels, and I can continue doing what I love, and that's finding bands and getting them on to CD.

Lee

Lee

Cheers Lee :) Thats interesting. I also like the way you did it! I suppose thats one of the advnatages of being a smaller record company - you don't have to follow trends and you can only sign bands you LIKE, u must enjoy ur job! And can I just say ur a lucky git :)