Does having the "metal" look really matter if you listen to good bands?

SpockIsLife

New Metal Member
Oct 19, 2015
Honestly, I dress kind of trendy, but I listen to some good music like Destruction, Anthrax, Rings of Saturn, Celtic Frost, Cannibal Corpse. I hear some people say it's kind of poserish to listen to those bands when I don't have the look. What do you guys think?

Clothing style doesn't matter. It helps 100% identify that you like that type of music without evening having to ask you directly, but it isn't necessary.

Live long and prosper.

You're a poser for liking Rings of Saturn. ;)

But really it doesn't matter much. Seems like silly teenager stuff. Plenty of normal people like metal. Plenty of borderline psychos like metal. I know I keep saying it but metal music is NOT some big brotherhood. It's silly to think you have to dress or look or act a certain way to like something.

Plenty of skinheads like black metal, doesn't mean you have to prove whether you're Nazi or nice if you also like it.

I don't dress in any particular way, I have a very plain sense of fashion. Simple shirt, regular jeans. I have had short hair for many years now and I have no tattoos or piercings.

It does change how people identify me though. People often seem surprised when I tell them I listen to a lot of Death Metal and Black Metal. They are in even more disbelief when I tell them I do vocals for Death metal oriented bands.

In a way it would be easier to look the part rather than have to explain over and over "yes I listen to a metal, yes that is indeed my voice in that song" . You wouldn't believe how many times I have been asked to do a death growl on the spot because they think the whole situation is crazy.

In short, my life might be slightly less annoying if people didn't think I listen to rap or Kanye West like the rest of them. I should start wearing band shirts at all times instead of just concerts :p

It does change how people identify me though. People often seem surprised when I tell them I listen to a lot od Death Metal and Black Metal. They are in even more disbelief when I tell them I do vocals for Death metal oriented bands.

This happens to me all the time if people don't know me very well.

Tell your "some people" that they don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

People that don't look good with long hair or wearing 'metal attire' trying to pull it off look pretty daft.

I doubt you could tell that most of my friends liked extreme music by looking at them.

Many 'normal' looking folks on this forum have far better taste and knowledge in metal than probably 95% of tattooed hooligans out there. Just sayin'

BTW I cut all my hair off today for an upcoming (in house) business analyst interview. Successfully removing myself from any and all customer contact > looking metal.

Many 'normal' looking folks on this forum have far better taste and knowledge in metal than probably 95% of tattooed hooligans out there. Just sayin'

BTW I cut all my hair off today for an upcoming (in house) business analyst interview. Successfully removing myself from any and all customer contact > looking metal.
I yearn for the day I don't have to email anyone or call anyone for work purposes outside of the main building.

Dudes, I fucking saw this random ass hard rock/heavy metal group called Crowhaven and the vocalist had dark blue sweatpants on and a tucked in Pink Floyd shirt on. Nobody gave a single fuck and he certainly didn't give one fuck either.

It was awesome.

I've been listening to underground death metal for years and don't dress metal at all. I do like darker shirts sometimes or skulls and things. Rot/decay,warped etc... I'm wearing a black star wars darth vader shirt right now. Actually I do have a Ghost T-Shirt.

Rob Halford is gay and Judas Priest has many songs that have explicitly gay lyrics. Judas Priest also wears leather and spikes that were inspired by gay fashion.

Guys, there might be other gay people out there making metal music. We need to stop listening to it immediately so we don't become gay.