Does listening to lyrics matter?

Avenged Grace

New Metal Member
Sep 8, 2013
I have been mainly listening to Black and Death Metal. Emperor, Windir, Behemoth, Marduk, Nile, Azarath, Darkthrone, Ulver, Amon Amarth are just a few examples of what I listen to.

I absolutely love the sound, I can hear all the different instruments and different melodies they do. Each one creates an atmosphere for me and I love it. I normally never care to know the lyrics, nor can I really understand the vocals usually. It usually doesn't bother me, but lately it feels like I'm listening to it wrong, or missing something.

Does this matter? Should I start looking up the lyrics? That's when I can understand it the most.

---- I'm very sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forums.

Thank you.

Whatever makes your cock hard. If you think you'll enjoy the music more with the knowledge of the lyrics then go ahead.

Lyrics matter because they tell you about the nature of the song. Doesn't matter what the lyrics are. If they're the nonsense gory babbling of slam/BDM, that still tells you the attitude of the music. You can't say that Pig Destroyer songs don't have a MASSIVELY different feel to them once you know how poetic the lyrics are.

Yes, lyrics matter. Its an important part of music. Though content is more vital, we appreciate master lyricists too.

Lyrics definitely matter for me. I've found that my favorite albums of all time are the ones that I know the lyrics to...this is no coincidence. In fact, that's how I know I have discovered a truly great record - when I find myself looking up the lyrics online. They make the music come alive even more by adding depth and feeling.

When I have time to read the lyrics while I listen to the music, that's a plus. However, I usually just listen to the music and am completely oblivious to the lyrical content for the most part.

It seems to be that Drummers hear the drums predominately in a song, Guitarists hear the guitar, Vocalists hear the vocals and/or lyrics etc

I do a bit of guitar and singing, so these are what stand out to me. Lyrical excellence matters to me.

But take In Flames for example, they're Swedish but they write their songs in English. Most of it makes little-to-no sense, but they're my top #2 band right now.
Most of their stuff gives me all the right feels in all the right places even though, as I said, the lyrics barely tie together correctly I guess.

In short, It all depends on the person (Who hears what.)

It's like, I can enjoy some quality opera or choir music without knowing latin or italian. I can enjoy some quality metal without knowing what they're saying as well.

Fuck lyrics.

I got into extreme metal at a younger age than most got into nu metal, you can trust me. I'm wise.

And I'm randy.

It seems to be that Drummers hear the drums predominately in a song, Guitarists hear the guitar, Vocalists hear the vocals and/or lyrics etc

I do a bit of guitar and singing, so these are what stand out to me. Lyrical excellence matters to me.

But take In Flames for example, they're Swedish but they write their songs in English. Most of it makes little-to-no sense, but they're my top #2 band right now.
Most of their stuff gives me all the right feels in all the right places even though, as I said, the lyrics barely tie together correctly I guess.

In short, It all depends on the person (Who hears what.)

And

It's like, I can enjoy some quality opera or choir music without knowing latin or italian. I can enjoy some quality metal without knowing what they're saying as well.

Always kinda viewed vocals as another instrument, not a way to carry a message. That being said, if a line is particularly wise/awesome or particularly retarded/cliche, it stands out, and the former can lead to paying more attention to the rest of the lyrics in the song while the latter can somewhat ruin it.

There's no metaphysical need to understand the lyrics.

I often go look up lyrics to metal songs I like, and they usually add something for me. But reading them on metal archives usually feels pretty distinct from listening to the song.

I like a lot of black metal lyrics. I like the ortho/philosophical shit.

I prefer when lyrics tell story or have an intelligent message but I can listen to Whitesnake and KISS songs about getting laid or songs about monsters but I don't care for "...oh, baby...yeah"-lyrics. Those are totally lame.