Plz Help Me With My Guitar :)

I agree with Brooks... Don't mess with Metallica songs... I learned that way and I can't hardly write a riff anymore with it sounding like a goddamned Metallica riff... ERRRR! But, if you MUST, then I would suggest For Whom The Bell Tolls... Easy as shit song and it's actually pretty fun to play (especially with a band, heh heh...) My first song was "Iron Man" and I pretty much picked that out by ear (little did I know at the time that I didn't have my guitar tuned right... Opps...) The first REAL song I learned (solo's and all) was "One" - Metallica...

Originally posted by Thorns of Sorrow
Agreed with Bro00xor and Mr. Jones....Avoid Metallica, and other thrash metal like the plague. Learn Sabbath songs, easy, rocking, grooved out, and evil...what more could u want? hehe

Dude! What's wrong with learning on thrash?! Nothing teaches alternate picking quite like Slayer. Thrash is good to learn with... that's what I played 24/7 when I first got my guitar.

Probably about two months... Maybe three... Hard to remember, it's been so long ago...

Lessons could definately be good... I never had any "guitar" lessons per se, but I played piano for years before I ever picked up a guitar and I'm pretty sure that helped me learn guitar pretty fast... But, if you have a good ear for music, then you could probably pick up fast anyways... It depends on the person really...

Originally posted by -Desecrated-
Dude! What's wrong with learning on thrash?! Nothing teaches alternate picking quite like Slayer. Thrash is good to learn with... that's what I played 24/7 when I first got my guitar.

cuz it screws you later on, when u wanna write any other riffs that dont involve galloping on an E chord.

@YourFuneral: You could play the "One" solo within two months of playing guitar? :confused:

dude it's really it's up to ...
get songs that intrest you more than anything , no matter what , and take your time , you see it's not about what you play , but how you play it , well at least i think , sometimes the best thing to do is to start slow and progress from there , any tune , riff you find a little hard to play just slow it down and do it Really slow , and build your speed from there on ...
learn to play muted notes , semi muted notes , full unmuted , and to be able to hit the strings right with and without the pic ,
and actually get comfertable with the guitar and the way you hold it , you will be surprised to know how many people can't play classical guitar "just to play it , not to do classical" and how many good musos that still strugle with there pics lol ,
get someone to show you a little bit here and there , and learn to use the whole neck when you can , and if something is getting frustrating , don't just leave it and move on , keep at it till you get it , i know many people who can only play half songs because of that lol .....
train your ear to pick up all the guitars in a song , and fucs at one part at a time ... if you gonna do metallica , then maybe it's good to know how to play what james does instead of jumping into what kirk does half way through lol .......
being a good Rythem player is HARDER than learning solos when you are starting out ., trust me ..... mahy people can fidle around with scales and solos , but there rythem tech is really bad ,
and like the rest said , metallica , specially that Black album , it's really easy stuff , but still good way to get your playing on track , and maybe a bit of Megadeath too ...
but like i said , don't stress it out , take your time , it will take you years to get good , so don't rush lol , and practice , practice and more practice , great words that Rhods "RIP" said once , and they are like the gold of the industry ...... you can never have enough ....
Remember if you are stuck , ask , and keep at it , and Good luck ;)
for one day we might jame :headbang:

It all depends on how seriously you take it but it is really useful to learn music theory and to play scales in many different positions on the fret board. This is helpful regardless of playing style. It's a matter of familiarity with your instrument.

In terms of learning other peoples material: it's best to learn songs by artists you actually like and even better if you are really familiar with the songs. That way you have the most inspiration to get to the end of the song and to play it as accurately as possible.

Learn anything you want to learn, as it's a goal and it'll feel damn good when you can finally play it :)

As for taking lessons, do so! Get someone to get your hand and general posture correct. It'll make life easier tlater if you have good playing technique and position. A teacher in the beginning will also be able to give you a feeling of progressing, but don't stop playing for your self, if there's naything you want to learn how to do, get a book/someone to show you. Lessons are there to expose you to various areas, but you need to put the effort in to learn things you want to as well as have to :)

Good luck :)

oh, and nirvana smells like teen spirit is nice and easy, and quite a fair few other songs of that album too :)

Yes.

Dream Theatre - Scarred

The most common ones to learn these days:
Greenday - that gay song
Nirvana - Smells like teen spit
RHCP - naked in the rain (or just anything in general)
that Avril song sk8r boi
Masters Apprentice
the beginning of fear of the dark :D
System of a down - sugar and chop suey
Anything by blink 182

ok that's as far as im gunna go...bear in mind that list was what is generally being played..apart from ma.

Damnit, i can't justify myself any more..the gig is up!