My First Guitar

Immortaldemon

...claiming my flesh
Nov 3, 2002
Swindon, UK
Visit site
I need your advice to help me get my first electric guitar.
Most of my friends say "Get a really shit guitar like a squire" and "No-one gets a good guitar as their first". I already have a Classical guitar which was my mothers but it plays like shit and I want to have a good guitar that I could be proud of.

Anyway does anybody have any advice about the guitar (all input is welcome) eg.Model, price etc. Thankyou:)

My first was a red Squire...good for starting, not much else....

now I play a Jackson (560$), a Gibson SG (580$) and a BC Rich Warlock (on loan from my drummer)...

www.ebay.com

Look up some Fender Strats... there's some that are goin quite cheap... I mean this isn't exactly a beginner guitar, but hey, it'll last ya :).

The guitar I have in my avatar is my first... it's an Epiphone SG Special.. I'd recommend it if you have enough money to replace the pickups aswell, because it sounds like shit.

But yeah, I'd go for ebay and look at some higher-class guitars that sell cheap.

Have you learned enough on the accoustic to know that you're serious about learning how to play? If so...

What price range are you looking at?

Originally posted by ControlledChaos
jon levasseur of cryptopsy plays one

karl sanders of nile also plays a strat, but i agree...for the most part, a strat is not a great metal guitar. something with humbucking pickups tends to be better, plus a lot of strats dont have a very close action (but i guess you can always get that altered).

My first axe as an Ibanez RG170, around $200 I believe, its was good for a beginner guitar and definitely good for the price... I outgrew it withina year though, but I also fucked it up cause I messed with the truss rod and fucked up the neck lol...

My second axe is an Ibanez RG570, I got it for 500 CYP including shipping and soft case... that's around $800 but You'll get it a lot cheaper in the USA cause I had to pay tons for shipping. It's a fucking excellent guitar, plays like a dream, sounds great and looks beautiful, I don't see myself getting tired of this one for a few years to come...

My advice? By a second hand RG5xx series of ibanez. They go for about 2-400$ most of the time if i remember correctly, and despite them maybe being a bit beat up they are damn good guitars that will play well, have excellent tremelo systems that will withstand abuse and will be generally and all round top guitar that will last you. Good workhorses :)

But get someone who knows a bit about electrics to go and look at it with you, but second hand is much better value for money, in fact, pretty much all my guitar gear is second hand now :)

I should of mentioned this before but I find Fenders or anything that looks like a fender absolutly HIDEOUS and I would feel stupid just playing one. I am very serious about playing and learning. I've almost completed my Grade 5 theory. I am planning an playing Black/Death metal mostly. I progress fast with music. I was thinking about a Jackson K10 pro or something like that. Are they any good?

Right, if you are dead serious, then start looking at decent midrange guitars. Ibanez' RG5xx range is good, and as a general rule jacksons BCRiches and the likes get into good quality above the 500£ mark which is a decent target price to look for.

Play the guitar before you buy and try out as many as possible. If it has a tremelo system, make sure it's a sturdy double locking floyd rose or licensed floyd rose system, as if you get a shit trem then using it will just cause you tuning nightmares. To see if this is the case, play the axe, make sure it's in tune, abuse the bar (do a few bombs, harmonic screams etc) and see if it still is in tune.

But do look second hand, as you can get absolutely fabulous guitars on the cheap and it'll give you more bang for buck :)