Plz, rate these tones (Line6 + Slate Drums)

whitedamp

Aug 28, 2006
Brazil
I´m looking for that Rob Zombie rhythm guitar tone doubletracking with Line6 stuff (I use KB37, but it works just like any PODxt). For the drums I used Slate´s samples but it kind of got lost when I compressed the hell out of it trying to brickwall the mix.
Can anyone give me any tips of how to improve the sound? Don´t actually need to be really close to Rob Zombie´s tone, but something that fits on the style of this MP3. You know, simple riffs, drop-d, chug chug, open power chords, no brain at all.

Maybe I will open a thread asking for some kind of brickwall tutorial, because I am really getting a hard time trying to achieve that monoblock of waves (that you see when you open a pro mp3 with a wav editor) without ruinning the sound, specially the drums. :erk:

CO - Test 1
(Drive 100% , Bass 70% , Middle 40% , Treble 70% , Presence 60%)

CO - Test 2
(Drive 100% , Bass 100% , Middle 20% , Treble 80% , Presence 60%)

the zombie guitar tone is a really grindy, gritty tone... try adding more gain and increase the high and low eq on the amp (or sim)... and try to scoop the mids more...

I tried your tips on "CO - Test 2" (see the edited first post). Did you think that it got any better? Should I go for more (or less) mids, treble or bass? Thank you very much : )

Do you really want to limit your mixes that much? Or is this to satisfy someone you're working with? If you're not using Waves L2 or 3 you should try them.

Actually, I want it. I know, loudness war is wrong, etc, but I really dig that wall of sound that you get on modern rock/metal (nickelback, alter bridge, godsmack, etc). I am using L2 on these mp3s tests with a -10 threshold and even so, when I open the track on a WAV editor it doesn´t look SO massive as, for example, Megadeth´s 'Washington Is Next'. But this is another question, I will open a new thread about it with screenshots. On this one I will try to achieve a better guitar tone out of Line6 stuff. I know that a bunch of folks here use Line6 gear and maybe they´ll get interest on a good new patch :)

Dude, whether it sounds "real" or not.
the tone on the 2nd clip is fucking awesome!

Thanks bro, actually I woke up today with rested years and like it very much, just put a bit more mid (see Test 3) :)
And, no, I don´t have ANY problem sounding "fake". I just want a crushing tone to headbang and that´s it :)

turn off the speaker emulation and record direct and apply impulses.

Yeah, I know how to use impulses, but I was trying to get a good tone from the Line6 after listen to that SICK mix that Joeymusicguy did using the model cab from PODxt. You know, I try to use as few plugins as possible. But anyway, I tried a Mesa 4x12 impulse. I tweaked the amp settings also because the difference between the impulse and the treadplate cab model are HUGE.
So, here it is, I actually have no idea if the impulses sounds better or worse than the tones that I was getting using the treadplate cab model, because my ears are damn weird after listening to this same clip over and over again.
Enlight me :worship:

CO - Test 3
(Drive 100% , Bass 100% , Middle 30% , Treble 80% , Presence 60%)
*It´s the same settings as Test 2, but with 30% of middle instead of 20%

CO - Impulse 1
(Drive 70% , Bass 70% , Middle 30% , Treble 70% , Presence 60%)

So, did you guys think that I should stick with the cab sim and try to get a good tone from it or impulses are the way to go by far? I really need help here because my ears are so tired of hear this clip that I can´t even say the difference between an Elakelaiset or a Deftones song o_O

WHOA WHOA WHOA. -10 threshold on an L2? WHOA. I can't even tolerate 2 db on an L2. Get the GClip plugin and raise your gain with it, using the L2 right after it with NO threshold at -.03 as a ceiling. L2 will take all your drum tone and punch away.