pod and mackie satellite help

sash poask

Mar 24, 2008
hey guys, got my pod xt about a week ago, loving it

my question is this.....

i am currently running it into mackie onyx satellite, and then to logic, where i am using various impulses instead of the line 6 ones

should i be setting the pod's output to max, and then using the interfaces input gain, or should i have the pod xt output down and the gain on the interface up?

what do you guys do?

help advise appreciated

I'd say getting the gain from the Pod and keeping the gain on the Onyx at minimum so you don't get extra coloration

No prob.! :) If it was a really hi-end preamp with desirable coloration I might suggest experimenting, but while the Onyx preamps have a good rep, I wouldn't recommend pushing 'em ;)

haha yeh, i do think onyx is a bargain, especially love the fact i can take the pod out of the base unit if im going away somewhere

And use it as an independent 2-channel analog preamp as well! (or rather, I'm 95% certain you can, but I haven't actually tried it that way, there might not be hard-wired connections between the preamps and outputs, I'll have to give that a go running it into my housemate's interface)

And use it as an independent 2-channel analog preamp as well! (or rather, I'm 95% certain you can, but I haven't actually tried it that way, there might not be hard-wired connections between the preamps and outputs, I'll have to give that a go running it into my housemate's interface)

Yeah man works as a standalone preamp. Only problem is I've found the power supply seems to be incrediby noisy! Much cleaner running it from the firewire.

Yeah man works as a standalone preamp. Only problem is I've found the power supply seems to be incrediby noisy! Much cleaner running it from the firewire.

Wow, I've never noticed that, but then again I've never recorded anything besides guitars and screaming vox with mine...