POD XT or Boss GT-8 or...

ScottCash

Huge Member
Aug 29, 2006
Well, sounds like it's time for me to bite the bullet and upgrade my guitar effects processor. (Currently POD Ver 2.0) As much as I would like to use a VST it doesnt' sound like they are quite as far along as the units like the PODXT and other hardware. So the question is, which one? I've been reading some reviews and the Boss gt-8 gets good reviews but I know the PODXT is a standard around here. Whatcha using and what do you think of it? By the way if anyone is looking to unload a PODXT or something similar, let me know-

+1 on that. I recently upgraded from a Pod 2.0 to the XT and combined with impulses, the results are remarked improvement. It does take some tweaking to start getting good tones though.

Pod for recording, but no way would i use it live personally. I like to use my 5150, and combined with the gt6 effects loop to get a great live sound. I see pod xt live has no effects loop so cant be used like that- aka totally useless for me. If you havent got a decent amp though for live use, then it might be a different stroy :)

How do you guys deal with the recording of the PODxt without a cabinet selected? It sounds HORRIBLE, and the latency prevents me from playing with impulses in real time. I'm just to sensitive; anything beyond 3 or 4 ms latency makes me play ahead of the strokes. I got used to the (small but noticable) latency of the V-AMP, but everytime I recorded albums with real amps, I played ahead, to compensate for the V-AMP latency which was mentally built into my head. On the other hand it was no biggie, 'cause I was able to get out of it in just a few hours.

11thDay said:
Originally Posted by kaomao
podxt and a good impulse can do miracles believe or not.

Yeah, I keep going back and listening to Splat88's songs:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=404561

That should be enough to convince anyone on how great the PODxt can sound.

.j.

I think (splat88 can correct me if I'm wrong) that the songs on his page are just podXT and not with impulses... unless you are refering to the short demo samples...

TheStoryteller said:
the latency prevents me from playing with impulses in real time. I'm just to sensitive; anything beyond 3 or 4 ms latency makes me play ahead of the strokes. I got used to the (small but noticable) latency of the V-AMP, but everytime I recorded albums with real amps, I played ahead, to compensate for the V-AMP latency which was mentally built into my head. On the other hand it was no biggie, 'cause I was able to get out of it in just a few hours.
Yeah, I had the same problem with the HD147. I measured 4.5 ms latency between the direct signal and the direct outs. Not much, but it started to screw with me after several months.

Machinated said:
I don't do it, but I'd say if there is a problem, the best bet would be to record the dry signal and reamp it with no cab sim on.

that's how i've just started working.

edit: to be specific, it's guitar to DI to PC and the parallel out from the DI to my POD. I then have both a DI track and the XT with a Cab on another track which is later deleted. I then just reamp the clean DI later on via the POD. I work that way so I have to commit to the POD tone and can also hear something in the ballpark of the end product when I'm tracking. I find it's actually quicker as I'm not thinking about the tone and can concentrate on getting the performance right and then deal with the tone issue separately.

TheStoryteller said:
How do you guys deal with the recording of the PODxt without a cabinet selected? It sounds HORRIBLE, and the latency prevents me from playing with impulses in real time. I'm just to sensitive; anything beyond 3 or 4 ms latency makes me play ahead of the strokes. I got used to the (small but noticable) latency of the V-AMP, but everytime I recorded albums with real amps, I played ahead, to compensate for the V-AMP latency which was mentally built into my head. On the other hand it was no biggie, 'cause I was able to get out of it in just a few hours.

On my E-mu 1212M i can set the ASIO latency to 2 ms and use a 0 latency plugin (mda combo is 0 latency IIRC) during recording and then later put any impulse on the track using freeware SIR convolver.

btw. If i'm using amp emulators i always listen on my headphones (monitors will add few ms (one milisecond for every 34 centimeters from your ears)

What you can do is set a rough EQ track on your guitar tracks to filter out a lot of the ugly frequencies for while you track. It won't be perfect, but it's only meant to make the recording process bareable. :)