Polish Showdown: Behemoth vs Graveland

I kind of respect Nergal for not trying to play any role or pretend not to mostly do music in order to make money. He writes good lyrics and makes good music, both black and death metal, therefore I side with him in this little internet showdown.

Darken is mostly full of shit, but I think he also deserves some respect for going his own way and not caring whatsoever what anyone else says or thinks.

@JayKeeley: Fair enough. I remember that people used to take the piss out of Lolita Vampiria's big forehead back @ teh old SOT, most of these were Americans. Big foreheads are a regular sight here in Norway, also amongst youngsters who don't have receding hairlines at all. It obviously can't be a regular sight in the US. I don't think Nergal's forehead is abnormally big.

Hey Darken's the dude that poses like Dungeons and Dragons all the time right? He's funny.

Jeez, the forehead thing was a joke.

video_05.jpg

but Darken just looks like a twat, but at least his music is more interesting:

Darken%205.jpg

haha look at that dude!!! I've never heard Graveland, but they have receive too much praise from a variety of you fuckers so I'll get to them eventually.

spaffe said:
I kind of respect Nergal for not trying to play any role or pretend not to mostly do music in order to make money.
Yeah, I have heard, on more than one occasion, that Nergal does want to be a rock star. I remember Eldzik (anyone remember him) always going off on Nergal and how he is just in the music biz for money and chicks and rock star shit. If anyone doesn't know, Eldzik personally knew Darken and Nergal and is the husband of the singer (or ex-singer) of Enter Chaos.

Eldsik would also say Darken was just a dumb shit, which he probably is.

J. said:
Yeah, I have heard, on more than one occasion, that Nergal does want to be a rock star. I remember Eldzik (anyone remember him) always going off on Nergal and how he is just in the music biz for money and chicks and rock star shit.
It's all relative isn't it? Bands like Graveland who will never do world tours will probably always think that Behemoth supporting Deicide in the USA, for example, is the equivalent of becoming a "rock star" band.

That is ridiculous IMO. I saw Behemoth, and I saw Nergal. He worked alongside the roadies to get the monitors and stage set up. He worked behind the table selling Behemoth shirts. He met with the fans. He went out and played, with corpse paint!, and the band just played 'till they bled. [This was my first and only encounter with Novy, bass player extraordinaire]. After the show, Nergal helped pack everything up, moved it into the van, and they were ready for the road.

I've been to lots of shows and I've seen metal musicians act like "rock stars" and to be honest, they've never been death metal (or extreme metal) musicians. Interestingly enough, the rock star mentality is prevalent within power/prog circles.

JayKeeley said:
I've been to lots of shows and I've seen metal musicians act like "rock stars" and to be honest, they've never been death metal (or extreme metal) musicians. Interestingly enough, the rock star mentality is prevalent within power/prog circles.
Go see Exhumed some time, they even raise their guitars skyward for the solos. :headbang:

Arch Enemy reminded me of rock stars when I saw them, especially Sharlee. I'll excuse Angela since that is kinda what they want from her.

One Inch Man said:
Go see Exhumed some time, they even raise their guitars skyward for the solos. :headbang:
Haha, no by "rock star", I mean: wearing sunglasses indoors, drinking gin & tonics, eyeing up girls, sitting on bar stools whilst surrounded by fat girls and nerdy guys waiting to shake hands or get an autograph ('cos you know, nerds bring their entire CD collection with them to the show in case a band member can sign it).

Bonus points for Nergal: when he plays, he puts his foot up on his monitor. And he wears those boots. :D

band2.jpg

JayKeeley said:
Preach on, brother!

Anyone ever met Fates Warning? I've actually sat on their bus and drank some sort of red wine (not sure how to spell it, but sounds like Gr-ah-V) with them, Brian Slagel and Doug Pinnick (was he that got me on the bus)...

Ray Alder wants soooo bad to be a star, bitching and moaning about all sorts of shit..

Ever seen Evergrey? Man oh man, are they rock stars. Same with Russell Allen from Symphony X. Kinda funny really because they're nice guys, always up for a laugh.