Poll - do you trust your Police Force to do the right thing ?

Do you trust your Police Force ?

• Yes, I trust them totally

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No, I beleive that evidence is manipulated to force a case.

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Don't give a rat's freckle

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shannow

Stunt Plough Rider
Oct 15, 2001
Lithgow, Oz
Following on from BDs thread

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101278

and the various posts relating to the death penalty.

Do you trust your police farce (oops, force) to do the right thing, collect all of the evidence, impartially review it, and submit it all to the courts for a judge and 12 of your peers to review ?

Or do they form a case around partial use of the evidence, to ensure a conviction ?

If I lived somewhere with a death penalty, I'd surely be hoping for the former.

Im glad there's no death penalty downunder, as I do not trust the fuckers at all.

Reactions: Profanity
If your known to police, and known as a badass then NO. but generally yes.

But when there is an highly publicised case, and the pressure is strong to get someone, then no, not fully!

Advice never throw a punch at an officer, even if he/she is a prick and deserve it. Cause they'll take care of you in a stair case or jail cell. That's a fact!

I trust the police on felonies and stuff...but dang they get on my nerves with traffic and stuff. Being 16 driving around with friends after seeing a moive they always follow me and have followed us into our driveways before, even though we did NOTHING wrong. He was checking to see if we were drunk but of course we weren't so he had to make up an excuse, like "You didn't come to a complete stop". Then why didn't you pull me over and give me a warning? He should just get some balls and say, "I am making sure you're not drunk". Now, this guy is a constable in our town (we have 2) and no one likes him or the other one. They are fags. Uhhh....stupid speeding tickets....

heh, not at all. if i'm in scotland, then the police are laughably incompetent, if i'm in america.....bah, i just don't trust police here. of course they're going to manipulate evidence or present what is needed for a conviction...everything rides on them being able to do that. what's a little compromise here or there between police buddies when they're attempting to try someone??

I know plently of police officers, and most of them are nice normal people doing their job to some level of competency... There are those with the power trips, or bad moods who take their agressions out on civilians.

I trust them for the most part... However, they don't necessarily HAVE to follow the law strictly, they can interpret it however they want, and it is up to the District Attorney to determine if the officer's interpretation is roughly correct, and if they will prosecute those charges, and it is up to a judge, and sometimes a jury to determine if the law has been broken, and what punishment may be applied.

So, in other words, I trust them to do their jobs, but I don't necessarily trust them to interpret the laws correctly.

In my home town in the UK the role of the police seems to be to harass the ethnic minorities (maybe their on performance realted pay on that respect. theres also the fact the the Police cheifs son can do what he likes as no ones going to arrest their boss son are they?

xenophobe said:
......it is up to the District Attorney to determine if the officer's interpretation is roughly correct, and if they will prosecute those charges, and it is up to a judge, and sometimes a jury to determine if the law has been broken, and what punishment may be applied.

Yep, that's correct, down here also.

However, the prosecuter only has access to the "evidence", that is provided by the investigating officer. There is much scope for the balance to be left out, and a very one sided view of evens to be portrayed.

xenophobe said:
I know plently of police officers, and most of them are nice normal people doing their job to some level of competency... There are those with the power trips, or bad moods who take their agressions out on civilians.

I trust them for the most part... However, they don't necessarily HAVE to follow the law strictly, they can interpret it however they want, and it is up to the District Attorney to determine if the officer's interpretation is roughly correct, and if they will prosecute those charges, and it is up to a judge, and sometimes a jury to determine if the law has been broken, and what punishment may be applied.

So, in other words, I trust them to do their jobs, but I don't necessarily trust them to interpret the laws correctly.

but thats SF's south bay, here in LA's south bay we have rampart division who for over 30 years have literally gotten away with murder and in many cases there were dozens of witnesses, in some cases it was fellow officers that made the cover ups known to the plublic, and there are cases where shooting unarmed people are witnessed and filmed and the worst that happens is the cops are suspended with pay. a paid vacation-what a harsh punishment! remember a couple years ago when live on the news they shot and killed the girl sleeping in the back of the car because "she drew her weapon first" and she was passed out asleep and there was no weapon? or last year when they beat donovan jacksons head into the police car for resisting arrest, and he wasnt even being arrested for anything, then when one of the cops saw somebody in the hotel was filming it, they went across the street and illegally kicked in doors and searched the hotel for the camera and threatened to beat everyone in the hotel if someone didnt give them the camera. besides the films of that there were over 100 witnesses. from all that only 2 officers were charged and if they are found guilty their maximum penalty is 3 years. then what was his name the football player that they tied up by the neck and beat his head in and when he died they said he hung himself. there are too many cases to count. if you get stopped by the cops here it doesnt matter if you have any record or are previously known to them, or even if they have any reason to stop you. what matters is if you are part of the group that is their prefered victims. if you are the race they pick, or if they like to mess with young people or old people, or if they dont like metalheads, or if they dont like yuppies-whatever, you get stopped you just better hope that they dont want to fuck with you, and that if they do there are plenty of witnesses around, because otherwise they will do anything they want to you.

do i trust the cops? NO! there are some good ones here, but they are rare and they are usually the old timer sargents who arent usually on patrol.

the cops here are the biggest criminals around here.

I know officers on the SWAT teams and regular cops. not long ago we had 2 cops(one off duty) killed by a drunk driver while trying to change a flat tire for some older people. there are some that I would trust with my life and others that are shitheads. some cops(lawyers, politicians, teachers, parents, spouses) do abuse their powers.
tell me, would you be a cop for $20,000 a yr? I couldn't. If i was a cop and some punk spit in my face I would knock out all of his teeth and then really fuck him up.

by the way, why isn't there a vote for something like " I believe that there are cops that do their jobs to the best of their abilities and some that abuse their powers"?