Pop filters.

StayStrapped58

New Metal Member
Nov 16, 2011
Any one here ever build their own pop filters, and if you did what materials did you use? Ive been thinking about building one and wanted to see if anyone has done it before.

Never built one, but have bought a cheap $20 one. Tried it a few times on our old vocalist for recording, and ended up not using it. It seemed to take away some high end sizzle and the very little amount of plosives we were getting without it, it just worked better without.

But I hear you can use like pantyhose or similar fabric.

Bought ladies stocking/pantyhose or whatever it's called.. then I made some pop-filters using cut off tops from plastic-containers/jars, even pringlecans..
Works great..
Just stretch it out real good.. made some dual and quadruple layer ones.. good shit!

I bought a Stedman Proscreen XL on recommendation from some people on here and it works very well. Very clear sounding and filters plosives like it should. Fabric filters aren't easy to clean, and metal filters tend to sound weird.

CAD Pop Filter = $15
Sure it might cost a fraction to make one, but I certainly wouldn't want a pantyhose/hanger contraption to represent a part of my business lol. I can see it as a last resort like Jarkko said. But they're already super cheap to just buy.

I bought a Stedman Proscreen XL on recommendation from some people on here and it works very well. Very clear sounding and filters plosives like it should. Fabric filters aren't easy to clean, and metal filters tend to sound weird.

I think the Stedman is metal.

I've been using a nylon over a clothes hanger as a pop filter for approximately 9 years. Two completely detatchable clamps, and really thick electrical wire tied to a popsicle stick serve as the arm. So you can hear the results of that on multiple records on iTunes :p

That being said, when I buy a Miktek CV4 and/or a modded NT1A, I'll probably buy a Stedman pop filter.

Coat Hanger and Nylons, even add a thin piece of foam if you like, i'll never buy a pop filter, as the cost too much for what they are, these DIY ones work fine