Thinking about building an ISO cab; any one else done this?

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Anyone around here built their own ISO cab?

I'd like to avoid the boxiness, so I'm thinking of building mine a few inches bigger than the height and width of my Marshall 2x12, but three times the depth. It isn't meant for portability, so I can have it on one side of the room, permanently set up.

I'm thinking about building it so that I can fit my2x12 inside of it. Do you think this is a bad idea?

What kind of materials are going to be best for isolating the sound, and making sure it isn't going to bleed out into the neighbourhood!

If anyone has done this, I'd appreciate the advice.

Anyone around here built their own ISO cab?

I'd like to avoid the boxiness, so I'm thinking of building mine a few inches bigger than the height and width of my Marshall 2x12, but three times the depth. It isn't meant for portability, so I can have it on one side of the room, permanently set up.

I'm thinking about building it so that I can fit my2x12 inside of it. Do you think this is a bad idea?

What kind of materials are going to be best for isolating the sound, and making sure it isn't going to bleed out into the neighbourhood!

If anyone has done this, I'd appreciate the advice.

Same basic principles as soundproofing a room; High-mass shell materials, with heavy interior decoupling from the shell.

So perhaps something like a box built from multiple layers of MDF (which has a desity comparible to gypsum board) perhaps lined with sheet lead . Heavily caulked to prevent air leaks. And the cab itself nestled in some kind of suspension such as acoustic foam.

You dont need multiple layers of MDF at all. I've gotten my 5150 up to volume 5 in my iso box and you can barely hear it.

3/4" MDF for all surfaces. Caulk insides so no air leaks.

Line innards of box with roxul safing 4.0pcf (including lid). Weatherstrip lid portion to contain sound.

Close lid... you're done.

Waste of money, that's why. If you think about it MDF is better too because it's less resonant anyway... lots of glue and particles of garbage XD.

Waste of money, that's why. If you think about it MDF is better too because it's less resonant anyway... lots of glue and particles of garbage XD.

Yeah, I guess in this case, resonance isn't what you want, unlike in a conventional cab!

Question: Should I get a 1x12 cabinet to use for recording, so that I can make the ISO box smaller? Or should I just make it big enough for the 2x12?

Just use your 2x12" cab. This way you can record in stereo when needed. I wouldn't buy a new cab when you've already got one.

I personally think the boxiness comes from the size of the ISO cab you use; which is why I'm thinking of making one big enough for my 2x12. If I make it three times as deep, then it should house the cab, and microphone easily; and provide enough space for the sound to move around a bit.

When I record, I usually record with a blanket over the cab (microphone underneath!) to stop the noise from drowning out the neighbours. But even then it is still a bit too loud. I have a THD Hotplate, but again, for recording purposes, I want the speaker to shift some air.