Porcupine Tree Appreciation Thread

mattt

Yes.
Feb 4, 2002
Who here loves Porcupine Tree? I will go all out and say Steven Wilson is perhaps the biggest musicial genius of the last 20 years.

I think they're great, even though I only have two albums so far (In Absentia and Deadwing). Deadwing is one of my favourite albums ever.

How much different is their earlier stuff?

Not sure about Steve Wilson being the biggest musical genius of the last 20 years though. Neal Morse would be up there.

In Absentia and Deadwing are a fair bit heavier than their earlier stuff The early stuff is very atmospheric stuff and not as accessable as the last two albums but once you get into it is really great stuff. I would recommened 'The Sky Moves Sideways' (1995), 'Signify' (1996) and 'Lightbulb Sun' (2000)

I also can't wait to get my hands on their live DVD.

Thanks Haupy! :headbang:

Unbelievably, I think you can get Deadwing for $10 at HMV. That's the best bargain ever, people - run, don't walk, there and get yourself a copy!

:headbang:

Fucking awesome band.
I would say that Steven Wilson is ONE of the biggest musical genius's this side of albuquerque. Neal morse and mikael Akerfeldt are 2 more off the top of my head.

In Absentia and Deadwing are brilliant. Stupid Dream should be your next purchase :worship:

Stupid Dream is great Sprucey! I just picked it up myself. I am honestly yet to get a 'bad' PT album.

Also Spiff, if you are interested Steven Wilson has another band called Blackfield with an Israeli singer/songwriter named Aviv Geffen - www.myspace.com/blackfield - www.blackfield.org - Awesome stuff.

blackfield was alright... The title track was cool.

I'm assuming you have heard the 3 Opeth albums that Steven Wilson helped out on... Deliverance, Damnation and Blackwater Park?

I can't wait for the PAW project :headbang:

(Portnoy, Akerfeldt, Wilson)

I got Up the Downstair today because it was cheaper than the others (they're $33 at JB but this one was $25).

I'll see how I go with it, but I'm sure I'll like it.

Spruce Goose said:
blackfield was alright... The title track was cool.

I'm assuming you have heard the 3 Opeth albums that Steven Wilson helped out on... Deliverance, Damnation and Blackwater Park?

I can't wait for the PAW project :headbang:

(Portnoy, Akerfeldt, Wilson)

Blackfield are awesome. They have a new album coming out in January I believe.

The Portnoy/Akerfeldt/Wilson project will be interesting. Im unsure of that one.

I've been watching a bit of Porcupine Tree on YouTube this evening. For those thinking of checking them out, have a gander at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrtIX1r9cVI&mode=related&search=

It's one of the greatest songs ever, so if you don't like it then you probably won't like the rest of their stuff.

Don't worry, it gets heavy in the middle part. It's awesome.

While I enjoyed the heavy part in the middle, it didn't fit with the song at all and just seemed ridiculously out of place, and the rest didn't do a great deal for me. If that is one of their best songs, I don't think I will bother checking them out further.

I respectfully disagree and also respectfully admit I don't have a clue what you're talking about in terms of it being ridiculously out of place. It suits the song beautifully, and I love the bit at 6:32, that's awesome.

I have to agree with Spiff here. One of the greatest songs of the last few years. To say the heavy bit in the middle is 'ridiculously out of place' is blasphemous.

I've bought a few PT albums since the beginning of this thread - Up the Downstair, On the Sunday of Life and Coma Divine. Top stuff! :headbang: A pity all their stuff is so expensive here.