POSSESSED - Seven Churches

lurch70

Sep 27, 2002
NYC
you know ... to me this was the first Death Metal ... I mean "true Death Metal" release ... and it needs some props.

if you really think about it ... these guys came up, invented, a new genre ... out of the blue with no reference point.

definetelly the first time I ever heard such growling vocals, relentless double bass and just sick shit death metal ...

just needed to be said

POSSESSED :kickass: :worship:

lalonde.jpg

lurch70 said:
you know ... to me this was the first Death Metal ... I mean "true Death Metal" release ... and it needs some props.

if you really think about it ... these guys came up, invented, a new genre ... out of the blue with no reference point.

definetelly the first time I ever heard such growling vocals, relentless double bass and just sick shit death metal ...

just needed to be said

Fuck yes. And guess who owns NOT A SINGLE Possessed release? HELLMIKE MOTORBIKE.

lurch70 said:
is that Larry Lalonde?
Got that right! :kickass:

Ler has got to be the most underrated musician in rock, that fucker is so damn awesome and nobody pays attention. Primus dudes listen to Les, and metal dudes don't even know he helped to create death metal.

the guy took lessons in the early days from Satriani ... what do you expect?

lurch70 said:

So someone explain this to me -- Possessed aren't exactly worlds apart from Slayer. "Show No Mercy" came out in '83 and "Seven Churches" came out 2 whole years later, and back then, 2 years was a fucken lifetime.

OK, forgetting about album release dates, it's entirely possible that Possessed were playing this style of music well before being signed, and they were from San Fran also playing in that old circuit.

But still, my point is this, Possessed shouldn't get as much credit as they deserve only knowing that Slayer should be cited as more of an "originator".

At least with Celtic Frost, for example, the sound was entirely unique -- or rather, not sounding much like Bay Area style.

Discuss.

lurch70 said:

just needed to be said

hell yeah!!! :kickass:

i don't know ... to me Slayer sounds nothing like Seven Churches era Possessed ... I am sure Possessed "heard" Slayer at that time ... but still the shit they came up with truely unique

Slayer have influenced Possessed though right? I guess the point is, Slayer deserves more credit to the point where they'll go down in history as one of THE most influencing bands. I can't think of many bands that rank alongside Slayer in that regard.