Possibility of seeing these bands at PPUSA in the future?

Haven't heard any Arkona yet (though I probably should). Korpiklaani might be fun. Personally, I'd prefer something a bit more "epic" along the lines of Primordial or Moonsorrow, but that prooobably won't happen. :saint:

I'd love to see HoM, actually... The Locust Years is a great album. I picked up the August Engine re-release and it didn't do as much for me, though, and I still need to hear their latest - but they definitely have a cool sound.

I would welcome Korpiklaani and/or Arkona to the festival. I've seen Korpiklaani in concert twice and loved it! I really like Arkona and would love the chance to see them live but, wow, I'd have to believe there would be endless red tape (no pun intended) involved in getting them over here from Russia.

Except for taking part in the 70000 Tons of Metal Cruise, Korpiklaani has no scheduled dates in the USA at the moment. They will release a new CD named "Ukon Wacka" on February 4th 2011

That's not true, they are touring along with Ensiferum, Rotten Sound and Barren Earth in February/March in the USA.

I dont think Korpiklaani or Arkona would go over nearly as well as a Tyr or Turisas mostly due to the lack of death vocals.

Not following you here. Are you saying Korp and Arkona wouldn't be as popular because they don't use death vocals? Arkona does. And you compared to Tyr and Turisas whom neither one use death* vocals. *confused*

*By death vocals - I mean the style that death metal bands use. I guess some here use *death* vocals as meaning non-clean vocal style. Which I *suppose* Turisas would be in the non-clean style. But Tyr and Korp defintely use clean vocals.

For anyone interested heres a link to the first Arkona dvd. If memory serves me correctly when they originally released this dvd a few years ago they put rips of the dvd on their own website.

They are a female fronted Pagan/Folk Metal band from Russia for those who don't know them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not following you here. Are you saying Korp and Arkona wouldn't be as popular because they don't use death vocals? Arkona does. And you compared to Tyr and Turisas whom neither one use death* vocals. *confused*

*By death vocals - I mean the style that death metal bands use. I guess some here use *death* vocals as meaning non-clean vocal style. Which I *suppose* Turisas would be in the non-clean style. But Tyr and Korp defintely use clean vocals.

Nope it should have been "lack of clean vocals", I am was just stoned and dont proofread

See, now how come if I make a comment like that, I am an asshole??????? :tickled:

I suppose eventually, everything will come around and be in style.

A couple years back it was folk / viking. Now it is trad / epic metal and epic doom. I would not be surprised at all if a band like Candlemass is on the next lineup.

This is the one honest criticism I have of Prog Power.
The fest used to be ahead of the trends, and now it seems to be following them (based on certain bookings which obviously would never have even been considered in the past).

Before others start to flame away, I have a STRONG business background, and am both a CPA and MBA, so we don't need to get into an economics discussion.

I'd have to disagree with you here Jason. I'm sorry, I know you're a fan of doom but is epic doom really in style? I don't. I'm guessing you're talking about WHW and I don't think they're a full-fledged doom metal band, which even the band itself has stated. I think a major part of why they were added on is that when their last disc came out, a lot of people on here loved it, not to mention I believe Glenn having it in his top cds list.

Where are you getting the trad metal thing from? Explain to me what bands you are talking about or are you just talking Accept from this past year? I've always felt that traditional is like power metal's older brother anyways, so I don't see it hopping on a trend -- not to mention that outside of bands like Maiden, Priest, Heaven and Hell, etc. they aren't usually popular.

As far as the Pagan bands being on Progpower this past year, I would have to say that TYR are very close to being a power metal band, so it's not that big of a stretch to me. Turisas I could've seen as hopping on a trend; however, the band itself offered to play. Different story. And same goes really for Leaves Eyes and Blackguard since the only reason they really were put on was due to them touring with Kamelot.

Sorry Jason, I don't mean to sound too harsh here, but I'm just trying to figure out your reasoning and complaints here. As a side note, did you really need to put that degree stuff in there? That seems like the sort of thing where if someone else put that on here, you would be all over them for.

See, now how come if I make a comment like that, I am an asshole??????? :tickled:

I suppose eventually, everything will come around and be in style.

A couple years back it was folk / viking. Now it is trad / epic metal and epic doom. I would not be surprised at all if a band like Candlemass is on the next lineup.

This is the one honest criticism I have of Prog Power.
The fest used to be ahead of the trends, and now it seems to be following them (based on certain bookings which obviously would never have even been considered in the past).

Before others start to flame away, I have a STRONG business background, and am both a CPA and MBA, so we don't need to get into an economics discussion.

I would not think you would be an asshole for making that make like I don't think I am for it, though others would probably think so.
But it is the truth. I recently saw a lot of stuff about them in Classic Rock and the Prog issue as well and thought it is about to happen for these guys. And I hope it does workout for them they are a great band. And all those people who ignore them when you and I mentioned them will be jumping on board the bigger the band gets.

Instead of trying to bring in more Pagan/Folk bands, how about bringing in some more Power/Prog? You know, Galneryus, Concerto Moon, Seraphim, Hammerforce, Battlelore, Amberian Dawn. There are so many that have yet to play PPUSA, that I think to go off genre is a bit premature.

I think Jasonic and I were referring to a real "progressive" metal band. As for folk metal it got boring faster then prog power metal bands have.
Will say Skyclad is a bit different though.

I would never have issue with that. That's why I'm very stoked to see a band like Arcturus on the bill for next year.

Sorry Jason, I don't mean to sound too harsh here, but I'm just trying to figure out your reasoning and complaints here. As a side note, did you really need to put that degree stuff in there? That seems like the sort of thing where if someone else put that on here, you would be all over them for.

No, it's all good.

I was not speaking specifically about trad metal or epic doom at Prog Power. I just meant in general it is getting more popular and getting more exposure. Just like the pagan / viking / folk bands did a couple years ago.