Post Master Doubts

Mar 21, 2007
NH, USA
www.myspace.com
This happens every time. I record, I mix, the band checks it out, we change things, I mix again.. so on, and so on until we get a mix we like.

As always.. after I master it I find something that sticks out to me. I'm not sure if I'm being over critical since I've been listening to this stuff none-stop for a month and a half.

What do you guys think? Lets see if anyone points out what I think I'm hearing.

Dismantle the Cyborg

Updated DISMANTLE THE CYBORG with correct panning on OHs

really don't like the kcikdrum....
the image of the snare in the overheads is weird in places, I'd say somthing was not perfect when the overhead mics were placed.

but that is because I was looking for something (only because you asked for it ;) ).

overall I'd say it sounds good, very raw and aggressive, suits the style

best is to let it go once it's finished.
you'll ALWAYS find something later if you're looking for it.

Yeah... I need to invest in a some Slate drums or something. I've got a shit ton of kick samples but no great way to implement them.

and you're right... it was the snare that was bothering me... must have happened in the timing/editing process.

It's probably the whole CD. I could probably help it along by cutting more of the low out of the overheads. I cut the OHs at about 6oohz to capture more of the snare... looks like it bit me in the ass.

I didn't have to edit the drums much... the drummer is very good, so I'm not sure if that's the deal. I used the Glyn Johns micing for the overheads which I've done before with great results... but it may have F'd me this time.

The guys will be coming over tonight to hear the master... so we'll see how that goes :|

Damn..I like it very much. All in one it´s a pleasure to listen to it. Really dig it a lot, especially the overall sound. Good master in my opinion.

Question: Wich drugs did you use? CRAZY IDEAS, MAN!!! hahaha

Glyn Johns ....did you pan the middle OH mic all the way to the left?
try just panning that one 50% L (like it should be) and the other one (over the floortom) 100% R.

that should solve or at least reduce your snare imaging problem.

unless you did that already, than you're just shit outta luck :(

SOL :erk: They picked up the master last night. BUT!! NO I didn't pan them that way.. so that's most definitely the problem. Funny... during all the research I did I don't think I've ever read that you need to pan them that way.

It's gonna be a while before they press it so I still have a bit of time. I'll see if I can bust it out for them quickly.

NOTE: this is why I don't advertise my recording business :loco: I just record friends, and friends of friends, and charge next to nothing.

Yeah... I need to invest in a some Slate drums or something. I've got a shit ton of kick samples but no great way to implement them.

and you're right... it was the snare that was bothering me... must have happened in the timing/editing process.
never.... ever.... edit your snare track(s) independent of the Cymbals (ALL of them... overheads, hats, ride, etc.)

OH GOD NO!! I agree with you. I group everything.. and I mean EVERYTHING together to edit. I figured it was a phase problem in certain areas where I had to time stretch a bit more than others... After lasse brought up the fact that it's throughout the entire track I realized it must be a much bigger issue.

BTW. I went back into the mix, and panned the snare OH to 50% and the difference is 100%. I've already contacted the band and told them I'll get them a new master by friday.

I'll post the difference later today.