CiG

Wondrous apparition provided by magician
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
So I was listening to some Bauhaus and I came across a band Peter Murphey started in the 80's that seem to only have released one album:

It got me thinking about all the good stuff in a similar vein that exists out there. So this thread is for sharing new and old music that falls into this umbrella of genres.

Also:

Last edited:
you and i have spoken at length about this but in case anyone else cares i'll just post some stuff whether we've chatted about them or not

i'll always sing modern g beat's praises as it's the closest and most authentic to goth's roots imo, actual punks playing post punk/goth/deathrock and not that cheesy commercial ebm/cruxshadows darkwave garbage. the closer to punk/post punk the better

http://souciant.com/2012/10/what-is-g-beat/

bands like pawns, cemetery, spectres, ward no 6, etc, are all modern bands continuing an authentic goth/post punk/deathrock sound, unmarred by that sort of mallgoth sex cult/london after midnight brand of keyboard driven cheese that was so popular in the early 2000's. not sure how to embed or anything on this forum so i'll just lable a few links

spectres - strange weather from utopia lp (post punk/BC)

cemetery - demo (deathrock/goth rock/g beat/dark punk/chicago) *THIS DEMO IS SO GOOD. too bad they lost a lot of the punk influince after this demo and opted for a more contemporary goth rock sound

anasazi - s/t ep (anarcho punk/goth rock/NYC)

ward no. 6 - s/t cs (goth rock/post punk/indianapolis) *all of these are good but this release is fuckin killer
https://wardnumbersix.bandcamp.com/

the wraith - comatic romance from shadow flag ep (dark punk/true gbeat/goth rock/LA) *davey bales from lost tribe's new band, generally a continuation of that sound, but slightly less punky and more gothy. this RIPS

lost tribe - disease from solace lp (anarcho punk/deathrock/dark punk/true gbeat/richmond) *get into this fucking band right now

cinema strange - en hiver from s/t lp (deathrock/true darkwave/post punk/LA) *super theatrical deathrock band from the aformentioned cringeworthy early 00's, but these guys existed apart from that movement. very much influinced by virgin prunes and sex gang children, top tier shit. gone now, a few of them are in a project called the deadfly ensemble that's pretty much a continuation of cinema strange but even more artsy fartsy

youth cult - bildungselite daily from s/t cs (emoviolence/post punk/dark punk/berlin)

infidel - orgy ep (dark punk/true g beat/goth punk/BC) *get into these guys if you're into tsol

altar de fey - demons from echoes in the corridor lp (goth rock/deathrock/san fran) *killer. these dudes were around when deathrock was still relatively new in the 80's in san fran, they never really got their break and ended but disbanding, but put out this killer work in 2016 after reforming. a must listen

maudlin - keeping still from s/t cs (dark punk/post punk/true goth rock/ATL) *they go by elysian, now. they should never have changed that name. what a great fuckin name. these dudes rip, just like everyone else i've posted. very lofi and old school

metro cult - new space from new space/ghost 7" (post punk/goth rock/dark punk/copenhagen)

also check out(from my library so it's in semi-alphabetical order, haha) : alaric, atriarch, arctic flowers,blank spell, chants of maldoror, chlorine, circle of ouroborus' deathrockier stuff a la breathing slowly, creative adult, crystal stilts, cult of youth, decorum, draa, drab majesty, manicure, the hearse, haldol, liar in wait, the holy kiss,human tetris, kiss the anus of a black cat, mourn, population, rope sect, savage blind god, words, zotz

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Headless Chickens, an NZ band with a varied but great discography:

I dig Anti-Nowhere League's album The Perfect Crime, the one time they went new wave/post-punk. This song rules:

Hugo Race's band after he left The Bad Seeds:

This is a favourite too:

Last edited:
Reactions: theinnsmouthlook
you and i have spoken at length about this but in case anyone else cares i'll just post some stuff whether we've chatted about them or not

i'll always sing modern g beat's praises as it's the closest and most authentic to goth's roots imo, actual punks playing post punk/goth/deathrock and not that cheesy commercial ebm/cruxshadows darkwave garbage. the closer to punk/post punk the better

http://souciant.com/2012/10/what-is-g-beat/

bands like pawns, cemetery, spectres, ward no 6, etc, are all modern bands continuing an authentic goth/post punk/deathrock sound, unmarred by that sort of mallgoth sex cult/london after midnight brand of keyboard driven cheese that was so popular in the early 2000's. not sure how to embed or anything on this forum so i'll just lable a few links

spectres - strange weather from utopia lp (post punk/BC)

cemetery - demo (deathrock/goth rock/g beat/dark punk/chicago) *THIS DEMO IS SO GOOD. too bad they lost a lot of the punk influince after this demo and opted for a more contemporary goth rock sound

anasazi - s/t ep (anarcho punk/goth rock/NYC)

ward no. 6 - s/t cs (goth rock/post punk/indianapolis) *all of these are good but this release is fuckin killer
https://wardnumbersix.bandcamp.com/

the wraith - comatic romance from shadow flag ep (dark punk/true gbeat/goth rock/LA) *davey bales from lost tribe's new band, generally a continuation of that sound, but slightly less punky and more gothy. this RIPS

lost tribe - disease from solace lp (anarcho punk/deathrock/dark punk/true gbeat/richmond) *get into this fucking band right now

cinema strange - en hiver from s/t lp (deathrock/true darkwave/post punk/LA) *super theatrical deathrock band from the aformentioned cringeworthy early 00's, but these guys existed apart from that movement. very much influinced by virgin prunes and sex gang children, top tier shit. gone now, a few of them are in a project called the deadfly ensemble that's pretty much a continuation of cinema strange but even more artsy fartsy

youth cult - bildungselite daily from s/t cs (emoviolence/post punk/dark punk/berlin)

infidel - orgy ep (dark punk/true g beat/goth punk/BC) *get into these guys if you're into tsol

altar de fey - demons from echoes in the corridor lp (goth rock/deathrock/san fran) *killer. these dudes were around when deathrock was still relatively new in the 80's in san fran, they never really got their break and ended but disbanding, but put out this killer work in 2016 after reforming. a must listen

maudlin - keeping still from s/t cs (dark punk/post punk/true goth rock/ATL) *they go by elysian, now. they should never have changed that name. what a great fuckin name. these dudes rip, just like everyone else i've posted. very lofi and old school

metro cult - new space from new space/ghost 7" (post punk/goth rock/dark punk/copenhagen)

also check out(from my library so it's in semi-alphabetical order, haha) : alaric, atriarch, arctic flowers,blank spell, chants of maldoror, chlorine, circle of ouroborus' deathrockier stuff a la breathing slowly, creative adult, crystal stilts, cult of youth, decorum, draa, drab majesty, manicure, the hearse, haldol, liar in wait, the holy kiss,human tetris, kiss the anus of a black cat, mourn, population, rope sect, savage blind god, words, zotz

Finally got around to checking out all these links. A few I already knew, but I liked every single one. The one I liked the most though was Spectres, definitely have to check these guys out a little more. I replayed it a few times before I even moved on to the rest lmao. Great stuff!

I dig Anti-Nowhere League's album The Perfect Crime, the one time they went new wave/post-punk. This song rules:

Well that was unexpected and very cool. Cheers, I had no idea they branched out from their snotty street punk stuff, which I do love too. Definitely gotta check that album out man.

Last edited:
Since we're doing the year '92 for the GNMD, it reminds me of Love Like Blood, who released An Irony of Fate that year. I haven't checked out any of their other stuff, apparently later on they took a turn for the worse when they drifted more towards metal, but they are very much inspired by Fields of the Nephilim, without being derivative.

Hoping slowcore is accepted in this thread. When getting into Gnostic-Christian faith, I found a thread saying these guys were one of the few gnostic groups known.

How do we feel about Dead Can Dance? Earlier stuff was more explicitly gothic rock, but their more recent stuff experiments a lot with Arabic/Greek folk music.

My band just released this a couple of months ago. Swedish postpunk:

From the press release:

'Dödens lammungar, "Ett annat rum": An intense sonic manifestation of two entities trapped in a room of misplaced love and claustrophobia. Bergmans Scenes from a Marriage and Persona distilled into a 150 bpm gothic asteroid of dark matter. Dödens lammungar finally fully studiorecorded one of their most loved songs as the first of a series of digital singles to be released this autumn. If you’re into stuff like Molchat Doma, Bauhaus, "Scary Monsters" on speed, or an inverted Robert Fripp you might enjoy this.'