Posted this in wrong forum...Help me determine whats wrong with my guitar tone

Dec 28, 2005
Hey guys, I have a bit of an issue. This is the same thing that I've alluded to in the past with my "rig".

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1186608/08-090519_1844.wav

That is a link to my direct recorded signal, straight from Reaper with no additional processing. Excuse the sloppy playing, I just threw this together the other night trying to find out what my problem is.

This is a link to that signal, going through a chain of:

RComp (Attack @ 30.5, Release @ 50.2, Thresh @ -24.2, Gain @ 6.6, Ratio @ 2.77, Arc/Electro/Warm on)
-> TSS (0/10/6.30)
-> SoloC (Input @ 6, OD Channel @ 5, Contour @ 8, Bass @ 7, Mid @ 3.5, High @ 7, Boost, Master @ 5)
-> Boogex (s-preshigh.wav, all processing @ 0)

This is the DI that Metaltastic made for the tone shootout, going through the exact same chain (no difference in settings at all.)

Now, my guitar is going straight from the output jack, to a 1/4"-1/8" converter, to a 1/8"-1/8" cable, into the line-in on my soundcard. Input on my soundcard is set to -16.7dB (I noticed that Metaltastic's DIs peaked at -14.something dB and my original setting was at 0.0dB - lowering it greatly reduced the resulting bass frequencies.)

This is what I know about the guitar:

Microfrets Baritone Bass VI Clone (30" scale)
D'Addario EXL110-7 Nickle Strings (.059, .046, .036, .026, .017, .013 are what I use from the set)
Strung to B Standard (B, E, A, F#, B)
Pickups are default
Hollow body

I have no idea what wood the body is made of, nor do I have any idea what brand the pickups are. This is what my guitar looks like, relatively. There isn't anything covering the bridge like there is on that (the white thing), and both pickups on mine are the ones that are in the neck in the guitar in that picture.

So I'm trying to eliminate what could be causing the lack of definition in my recordings, as it's really frustrating. I'm sure I could EQ and compress it to get it to where I want it, but since I don't have any clue whatsoever.

I'm looking to get a new guitar, as well as a Firebox/Audiobox later this summer, but until I have the cash I need some quick fixes for this setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to get a new guitar, as well as a Firebox/Audiobox later this summer, but until I have the cash I need some quick fixes for this setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sorry man, but you might have to wait until then to get your tone where you want it...i'm going to guess that the issue lies in using 1/4"-->1/8" adapters, and running into the line-in on a soundcard rather than hitting a DI/preamp and proper conversion on the way in

sorry man, but you might have to wait until then to get your tone where you want it...i'm going to guess that the issue lies in using 1/4"-->1/8" adapters, and running into the line-in on a soundcard rather than hitting a DI/preamp and proper conversion on the way in

+1, the reason for that amount of noise is in most likely in the soundcard, plus Marcus' pickups are EMG81 and his performance is supertight so...

So would it be worth it to get a proper guitar, as well? I was thinking about getting a Schecter Omen-7 or a cheap ESP/LTD or something to string into B, since this guitar is very difficult to play chords on anyway

I have to say that during the past few years I have learned it the hard way: Save money for a good guitar and buy it later, instead of buying a cheap one now. I would personally now rather own a one 600 dollar guitar instead of owning two 300 dollar guitars that suck balls (like I do now). It's not huge amounts of cash that make the difference, usually even 100-300 bucks makes a world of difference in the tone.

I have to say that during the past few years I have learned it the hard way: Save money for a good guitar and buy it later, instead of buying a cheap one now. I would personally now rather own a one 600 dollar guitar instead of owning two 300 dollar guitars that suck balls (like I do now). It's not huge amounts of cash that make the difference, usually even 100-300 bucks makes a world of difference in the tone.

Well personally I'm a bass guitar player first and foremost, I only have a guitar because my father gave it to me. But now I'm getting the urge to start writing music and experimenting with guitar tones etc, so I started trying to use the guitar I have to write. It's just that it's really not supposed to be used as a guitar. Thats why I was looking at an Omen-7 or something.

I was also looking at the Jeff Loomis signature for something a bit more high end. I need a guitar that can handle low tunings well, whether it's a 7 string, or a baritone (ie 26" scale) 6, or a 25.5" V with higher gauge strings.

But first and foremost I'm going to ebay hunt and see if I can get an Audiobox or a Firebox on the cheap. I've seen a few Audioboxes finish for ~$80 and Fireboxes for ~$100 so I'm going to be on the lookout.

The tone I'm after is more like the recent Cannibal Corpse releases, a good chunky metal rhythm with some bottom-end but still retaining clarity and definition in the notes and chords on the low B. I'm getting a decent chunk but there's just no definition whatsoever with the way I'm going right now.