Help me determine whats wrong

Dec 28, 2005
Hey guys, I have a bit of an issue. This is the same thing that I've alluded to in the past with my "rig".

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1186608/08-090519_1844.wav

That is a link to my direct recorded signal, straight from Reaper with no additional processing. Excuse the sloppy playing, I just threw this together the other night trying to find out what my problem is.

This is a link to that signal, going through a chain of:

RComp (Attack @ 30.5, Release @ 50.2, Thresh @ -24.2, Gain @ 6.6, Ratio @ 2.77, Arc/Electro/Warm on)
-> TSS (0/10/6.30)
-> SoloC (Input @ 6, OD Channel @ 5, Contour @ 8, Bass @ 7, Mid @ 3.5, High @ 7, Boost, Master @ 5)
-> Boogex (s-preshigh.wav, all processing @ 0)

This is the DI that Metaltastic made for the tone shootout, going through the exact same chain (no difference in settings at all.)

Now, my guitar is going straight from the output jack, to a 1/4"-1/8" converter, to a 1/8"-1/8" cable, into the line-in on my soundcard. Input on my soundcard is set to -16.7dB (I noticed that Metaltastic's DIs peaked at -14.something dB and my original setting was at 0.0dB - lowering it greatly reduced the resulting bass frequencies.)

This is what I know about the guitar:

Microfrets Baritone Bass VI Clone (30" scale)
D'Addario EXL110-7 Nickle Strings (.059, .046, .036, .026, .017, .013 are what I use from the set)
Strung to B Standard (B, E, A, F#, B)
Pickups are default
Hollow body

I have no idea what wood the body is made of, nor do I have any idea what brand the pickups are. This is what my guitar looks like, relatively. There isn't anything covering the bridge like there is on that (the white thing), and both pickups on mine are the ones that are in the neck in the guitar in that picture.

So I'm trying to eliminate what could be causing the lack of definition in my recordings, as it's really frustrating. I'm sure I could EQ and compress it to get it to where I want it, but since I don't have any clue whatsoever.

I'm looking to get a new guitar, as well as a Firebox/Audiobox later this summer, but until I have the cash I need some quick fixes for this setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.