What Am I Doing Wrong? AAAAAARRRGH

rmallick6806

New Metal Member
Aug 28, 2011
Seems like I've been trying to mix my band's songs for so long now that I don't even know what I am doing wrong, which I'm guessing is a whole ton. Its mostly on the guitar side of things. Steven slate on drums, and a kickass bass.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1344919/ChainsDemo.mp3

Guitars are really the biggest problem in the mix, in my 'expert' opinion. Any helpful comments as to what I should be doing/not doing?

My chain for guitar is 5150 Head to LeCab and some ignorant eq'ing. Bass is ''bass amp room'' from Softube and little bit of eq'ing. Drums are straight up Steven slate with volume leveling.

Drums: there needs to be some EQing done to that hat. Also, a bit of humanization wouldn't hurt.

Guitars: they don't sound bad.

What exactly are you going for?

Drums: there needs to be some EQing done to that hat. Also, a bit of humanization wouldn't hurt.

Guitars: they don't sound bad.

What exactly are you going for?

Well, I'm trying to go for a very polished Modern metal production as if Andy Sneap met Master of Puppets.

Also, is there a humanization button for Steven Slate like there is in Superior Drummer?

The guitars just sound muddled, buried, and extremely stale. This has been my biggest problem in all my guitar recordings.