What am I doing wrong? Prog/power metal

Leonfrost

New Metal Member
Aug 9, 2011
Hi all, new user. I've been lurking here for quite a while, but this is my first time actually asking for feedback. I've tried so much to get this mix sounding professional, and I've sorta hit the bottom of my bag of tricks. So, I'm asking for help.

The part where everything cuts out except drums and piano will have a guitar solo, but I wanted to get everything in order before getting everyone back over to my basement to record. Vocals MAY also be redone depending on a couple factors. Also, the repeat of the intro at the end is an accident which I only just noticed after uploading to dropbox.

Guitars are a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser with EMG 707s, DI'd into TSE 808, TSE X50, Redwirez SM57 capedge -1 inch iirc.

Drums are EZdrummer with the snare, kick, and toms replaced with some Sneap samples.

Keys are FL studio's Sytrus.

Bass is the same Schecter, pickups on single-coil mode, middle switch, pitch-shifted down an octave and played through Runbeerrun's 5Cyborgs with a bass cab impulse the name of which I can't remember.

Please tell me what I can do to make it sound...better. I don't even know what I dislike about my mix. I'm apparently that ignorant T_T

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Into the Future new mix.wav?w=543aefc1

Edit: And apparently the whole mix got flattened after I uploaded it to dropbox. A lot of the higher air got taken out somehow, which seems to have made the guitars and hats quieter.