Postprocessing for Drum Samples

lucaskills

Feb 2, 2010
Hey folks,

i had the chance to record an awesome piccolo metal Ludwig Snare and had the drummer play it for me to sample it after i did the recording.

My question is, what processing do you guys do when sampling drums? Leave it as clean as possible and just do proper cuts and fades? Or should i put some eq's and comps on it already?

if you've multi-micced the snare check its in phase before exporting. like you said, make sure all your edits are precise (dont leave a gap between the begining of the sample and when the snare is hit or you'll have phase/flamming issues triggering).

i would usually keep it as clean as possible, allows much more manipulation during individual projects that i might want to use the sample in afterwards

What kinda processing does snare need? I know it's the same question that you've asked, but you need to designate the goals to achieve the sound you want. We can tell you 'use this comp settings' or ' this eq works wonders for snare' but it all depends on the sound you want for the final product.

Thank you for your input.

What i mean is setting Lo Cuts, try to reduce / eliminate resonances that are annoying (to me). Just the Basic things. Rest happens in the mix of course.

What I've found myself doing is eq'ing and processing the natural snare to get it working in the mix, then I export samples with the same processing on it so I have a sample that should be pretty much mix ready.