printing drum samples

jessman24

Aug 30, 2010
I had a few questions on the easiest way to "print" drum samples. In cubase I run drumagog, solo the specific drum, example: kick, snare, tom and I export mixdown the track then I re import it. I tried selecting a section and selecting "bounce audio and replace " but it doesnt recognize the drumagog instance running. Is there any easier way? Also is it normal to blend 3 or so samples together? If so what are some things to look at in each sample to build a solid full sound

What I do in Cubase is:

• put a drum replacer plugin on a snare track for ex.
  • make a temp mono group channel, let's name it 'PRINT' for ex.
  • make a new track, let's call it 'Snare sample' for ex.
  • route the snare track to the 'PRINT' group channel
  • set 'PRINT' as input channel on the 'Snare sample' track
  • run a few passes as I'm adjusting the drum replacer settings, so that it triggers as good as possible
  • enable 'record' on the 'Snare sample track'
  • record a pass or two in real time
  • check for any mistriggers and correct them by adjusting the settings in the drum replacer
  • if the original track has a lot of dynamic variations, typically I split it in two or more different tracks for best results, for ex. slower sections, blasts and ghost tracks, and use different velocity samples on them. If this is the case, record those additional tracks, too
  • in the end, put the printed sample track/tracks directly bellow your original track, and check that they are in phase; if not, possibly shift the printed track a few ms left or right, it depends on what plugin you use - I've heard that Drumagog has had some problems in the past regarding phase accuracy

As for your last question, yeah, stacking samples (be it 3 or 5 or more) is somewhat 'normal'. The most common approach when doing is that every used sample has its role (for ex. use a piccolo or some snappy snare sample for attack, use some fat snare sample for body, etc.) and then exaggerate their original sound by the use of eq and compression/transient designer, in order to achieve desired results. What you should keep in mind is that they also need to be in phase with each other, so slide them around, until you hear the fattest possible sound (which usually means that they are as phase accurate with each other as possible, but also, and that is much more important than phase accuracy, is that they sound the best).

When do you trim your samples?

Example if i load a Slate kick to replace the sucker will be peaking almost 0db, are most of you trimming it back before printing or using a trim after or neither.

Thanks!

I'm not sure that lowering that fader gives me the results I wanted. I'm not sure why you don't know what I mean?

1. It is best to lower the output of drumagog/trigger before printing?
2. Put a trim plug after trigger/drumagog before printing?
3. Or print and just use a trim later?
4. None of the above don't trim.

Thanks!

I'm not sure that lowering that fader gives me the results I wanted. I'm not sure why you don't know what I mean?

1. It is best to lower the output of drumagog/trigger before printing?
2. Put a trim plug after trigger/drumagog before printing?
3. Or print and just use a trim later?
4. None of the above don't trim.

Thanks!
Doing option 1 with the plugin's output is identical to option 2... So I'd probably just do option 1.

It's usually good practice to have your kicks/snares/ect. PEAKING (on your digital mixer) between -12 and -6.

After you do this you'll be like, "Why are my drums getting buried?" Just balance the level of the other tracks and raise your monitors (personally I think it's better to mix a little quiter, but different stokes), and mix away!