Poverty

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Poverty is such an interesting paradox in American society. On one hand we have such tremendous wealth, and access to most jobs is open to those who have the ambition to attain them irregardless of class or background. Conversely there are few decent jobs for the impovershed, and public education--especially for poorer school districts--is atrocious. The big question though I have is whether our current rates of poverty are entirely endemic and eternal. That no matter what the social program or economic assistances, that these current poor will remain poor-except for those cases of the intelligent or ambitious poor. Thus, is it silly to even bother with American poverty and the impovershed? Why bother anymore?

This sounds extreme, but I used to work as a pest control technician in college, and i had the great priviledge of spending my days in section 8 housing and slums killing roaches and rats. Apart from social services, I suppose I am one of the few who have been in these peoples apartments--and they didnt clean up in anticipation for me.

Lemme tell you what I used to see. 90% dont understand the concept of cleaning, leaving the most disgusting things on the floor, never cleaning dishes etc--thus breeding thousands of roaches. 75% do not have a job and are collecting child support and other clever gov incentives to barely eek out their existence. Many have large big screeen tvs and newer computers, while living in filth and a bug infested thirty year old mattress. Almost all of the older poor have bibles in plain sight and earmarked. Most are watching talk shows and seem to have cable tv. Most have rooms filled with junk they got for free. They are all mostly nice people, but it is obvious they, nor their children were ever taught basic, basic life lessons we consider common sense. And I didnt even touch on drug and alchohol abuse.

SO this is where I am coming from, and why i think at least 10% of our population of poor blacks and white trash will continue to remain poor. Poverty is endemic and far from noble, and it seems it cannot be eradicated by any means.

Poverty never will be eradicated. While I'm no economic genious, I dont think its possible that we could all be equal, or close to equal, given human nature.

I agree on alot of what you say - most of the poor dont really care enough to help themselves. And while I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love the chance to go to colledge, there are also more that dont care, and are content to live off of food stamps and unemployment checks.

In a "perfect world", we wouldn't have poverty, or disease, or war - but we dont live in a utopian society, as such is imposible, and these are things we have to accept. I think the most usefull thing that could be done to help "fix" poverty would be education. Giving the poor your money does nothing in the long run. Teaching them how to earn money and lead a productive life does.

Remember that proverb: If you give a man a fish, you have fed him once. If you teach a man to fish, you have fed him for the rest of his life.

It's a total spiral, but it gets wider at the bottom. Something has to be done, but I don't know of the right plan. Welfare is a nightmare. Putting the people to work for the government seems like a good idea, in hydro-electric construction for examble, but where does it end?

Honestly, I think that our problems are mostly cultural. We need educational reform, but it won't do no good without parental, familial and community support for real advancement. Welfare is a goal for far too many teens. Ignorant people raise ignorant children. Teachers are lost in these environments; they can't get through to the kids.

Appart from throwing money at the problem to secure votes, what can we do?

Grant nature the right to select those who survive and those who do not. Our society's humanitarian principles are the original cause of this problem: we refuse to allow the herd to be thinned by natural selection.

It is true that a most of poor people have certain state of mind, and even if chance is given to them they cannot use it. On the other side, after financial breakdown, rich people can recover.
Interesting, lot of people that have got high prizes at lottery have just spent money and more or less kept living in the same way as before.
People are generally hard to change, hard to motivate. And there is a certain atmosphere of self-satisfaction and numbness in American society as a whole, I think. I don't think that any of the poor people Speed has met has any kind of belief that they can change their status in society in any way.

Dushan S said:
It is true that a most of poor people have certain state of mind, and even if chance is given to them they cannot use it. On the other side, after financial breakdown, rich people can recover.
Interesting, lot of people that have got high prizes at lottery have just spent money and more or less kept living in the same way as before.
People are generally hard to change, hard to motivate. And there is a certain atmosphere of self-satisfaction and numbness in American society as a whole, I think. I don't think that any of the poor people Speed has met has any kind of belief that they can change their status in society in any way.

The last sentence I think hits the nail on the head. These people are actualy content with their lives that would drive any middle class or rich person crazy. They are all somewhat nice--except for a few that would refuse to receive anyone to help.

metu said:
It's a total spiral, but it gets wider at the bottom. Something has to be done, but I don't know of the right plan. Welfare is a nightmare. Putting the people to work for the government seems like a good idea, in hydro-electric construction for examble, but where does it end?

Honestly, I think that our problems are mostly cultural. We need educational reform, but it won't do no good without parental, familial and community support for real advancement. Welfare is a goal for far too many teens. Ignorant people raise ignorant children. Teachers are lost in these environments; they can't get through to the kids.

Appart from throwing money at the problem to secure votes, what can we do?
agreed here.

The problem is similar here in the UK.
There are poor areas in cities and towns and it seems they will never change, no matter how much money is thrown around.
I find it quite discouraging that in the UK ans US you have poor people who simply can't be bothered to change (even if given a chance), but if you go to any poor country you have thousands of people willing to do anything to improove their lives!

In this country one of the major problems i see with trying to reduce poverty is that it is always blammed on someone else. If you have kids smashing up cars then it's never their fault or the parents, the givernment gets blammed.
It a mess, the whole of poor society seems to want to be given what they want but won't do anything to help themselves.

speed said:
Many have large big screeen tvs and newer computers, while living in filth and a bug infested thirty year old mattress.

That they stole from Rent-To-Own places. lol

I deal with the same thing every single day since I work in collections for a RTO company. I need to get out.