The Hurricane

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
It seems there is much to discuss: anarchy, looting, incredibly slow federal assistance, poverty, gas, donations, good samaritans pulling people from homes, the power of nature, cops joining in the looting, and so on. This is one with a myriad of interesting topics that are all very, very, interesting. And I dont think the Anus.com thread allows everyone to discuss these issues without dealing with ideology.

I personally find the return to primal instincts due to the lack of order and infrastructure to be the most intriguing.

I thikn it's bitter irony that in the most developed country in the world one storm can destroy a city and turn a large number of surviving residents into animals, only will to steal and loot. I even heard people were shooting at the rescue choppers! What the hell is wrong with people?
I have no trouble with people stealing food and water there, but looting is silly. And the fact the police and NG are concentrating on stopping looting when 1000s are still at risk of dying just says it all about the society we live in. A few stolen TV's are worth more than the lives of 1000s of poor people.

Lord SteveO said:
I thikn it's bitter irony that in the most developed country in the world one storm can destroy a city and turn a large number of surviving residents into animals, only will to steal and loot. I even heard people were shooting at the rescue choppers! What the hell is wrong with people?
I have no trouble with people stealing food and water there, but looting is silly. And the fact the police and NG are concentrating on stopping looting when 1000s are still at risk of dying just says it all about the society we live in. A few stolen TV's are worth more than the lives of 1000s of poor people.

yep, money--and money made by corporations--and a police state to make sure money is protected pretty much sums up our society. I find it appalling that the government still isnt on the ground to hand out food and water. The media is in there. where is the Coast Guard, the national guard, FEMA? How hard can it be to get some helicopters and boats down to New Orleans?

I personally find the return to primal instincts due to the lack of order and infrastructure to be the most intriguing.

To offer an obvious observation, it's interesting that when the state is eliminated, if only briefly, any semblance of civilization is dissolved.

Does this sort of thing happen if there's a typhoon in the Phillipines, or a cyclone in the Indian Ocean? I've never seen this amount of media coverage if it does. Obviously there's the loss of life, property and some looting, but i've never heard of the break down of society happening in New Orleans.