Power amp for Axe-Fx 2 !!!

born_dead

Jan 22, 2009
Here is the deal. I purchased Axe-Fx 2 and Mesa Standart 4x12. I'm interested in getting most of it on records primarily (though the live settings would be rather useful too). What would you recommend for the amp - tube power or solid state power, e.g.Mesa 2:90 vs VHT 2/90/2 vs ART SLA-2 vs MATRIX GT800FX (or your own suggestions please).

I'm on a tough budget after getting those two, so would rather not pay extra for the brand (in case the difference in sound is not sufficient). Hope to find some help here! :)

Obviously the Atomic stuff is designed to be paired with it, so keep those in consideration. The VHT 2/xx/2 ad ART SLA series' are popular for good reason.

Basically, if you want natural tube colouration from your Poweramp and don't want to use the Poweramp emulations on the axe, get a VHT/Mesa/ENGL/Marshall poweramp. They all bring a different sound to the table, work out which one you prefer. Personally, I'm a fan of the VHT.

On the offhand, if you want a flat sounding poweramp with little to no tonal colouration - allowing you to use the axe's poweramp emulations to their full extent - definitely consider options such as the Crown XLS series.

I would think a typical PA power amp would work if your trying to retain the sound of the Axe-Fx, but yeah a tube power amp may be cool if you want to use the axefx as just a preamp.

The Matrix is badass, was using one that belongs to a buddy of mine with my II last week. I don't use the Axe live but I'ma pick up a Matrix to screw around with in the studio.