Power Mac G5 still usable?

PhilTheBeard

"The Beard"
Jun 23, 2009
Cape Coral, Florida
www.facebook.com
I had someone give me a Power Mac g5 tower and i was wondering if it would still be usable for recording at all? It is one of the Dual 2.0 ppc mac's with 4 gig's of ram in it. Just seeing if it would be usable for small recording's or should i just use it for a internet computer haha.

perfectly powerful enough for recording audio as that doesnt really use much CPU power at all, if you want to start putting plugins and VSTI's then you will notice a slow down but its still plenty useable.
Otherwise send it to me :)

No problem. I've still got one and it woks fine. Waves is flexible if you purchase plugins, they will supply you with the proper version. Enough other plugins that work. Just make sure you have enough ram in your computer, which you have.

I had someone give me a Power Mac g5 tower and i was wondering if it would still be usable for recording at all? It is one of the Dual 2.0 ppc mac's with 4 gig's of ram in it. Just seeing if it would be usable for small recording's or should i just use it for a internet computer haha.

I'm using that one for ewrything I do

I just upgraded my old Dual 2.0 PPC G5 for a new iMac 27" with i7 in it a couple months back. Sold my G5 to a friend, he is using it to do his band's demos on, it was still working fine for me only I couldn't do a full fledged mix session on it towards the end. Had to start freezing tracks and whatnot. I'd definitely recommend getting UAD or TC PowerCore to run plugs off of.