Scored a free Power Mac G5 - advice needed

katatonic.

Feb 23, 2004
Rochester, NY
Traded a whole bunch of junk electronics and old Windows 98 computers for a fully working Power Mac G5 with dual 1.8GHz CPUs, and 1gb RAM. I threw a couple spare 300gb hard drives I had laying around as well. I'm working with 10.5.8, a Presonus Firepod and Logic Express 8. I'm using this computer to record rough demos in a small project studio.

With that out of the way, I'm having issues recording DI guitar tracks with amp sims. No matter what amp sim I use, I'm experiencing dropouts and distortion whenever I'm monitoring through software. Increasing the buffer size made the latency intolerable (1-2 seconds) and changing the plugins had a minimal effect. It's even worse when recording.

When I open up Activity Monitor, I see light CPU usage but my RAM usage is maxed out and there's also a lot of hard drive activity every couple of seconds.

If I'm correct, with so little RAM, the plugins are being forced to run in virtual memory from the hard drive and I just need more. But I want to know if it's even worth it to upgrade such an old system. Are amp sims too much for a G5?