Best RAM for Power Mac G5??

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
Hey guys. If you guys remember my other thread, I was set on buying a G5. Well the day has come and I will be purchasing my dual core G5 2.3 in a few minutes!! I'm only getting the standard 512 RAM right now, and plan on buying some RAM in a few weeks, probably 2 gigs. I was wondering which RAM you guys would reccomend?? Should I go for Crucial?? Thanks.

-Joe

never tried the Crucial, but i had an Apple store "Genius" send me to an online 3rd party vendor and i had nothing but trouble. i went back to apple and bought the Apple Samsung RAM and have had no problems. i complained to the guy and he said it may have had to do with having my original Samsung RAM in, along with the other stuff... i can't for the life of me understand why it should make a difference, but it did. as soon as i had all Samsung Apple RAM in my box it started working great. so, if you get the Crucial later and you start having problems right after that, try removing the original ram and see if it clears up. if not, put the original ram back in and take out the Crucial... and test it. do all this before warranty runs out... typically 90 days. i've only ever had problems with my macs when trying to skimp and get non-apple ram. in fact, as i type this i'm on my powerbook which i've carried across the US and back and forth across the Atlantic for a year and a half now and it still runs just as smooth as the day i bought it... smoother even since the Tiger OS.

I bought the official Apple Ram from this site for my Powerbook. Worked out really cheap. Excellent to deal with so they were.

http://www.macsales.com/

I would recommend getting the proper ram for any mac. 3rd party stuff can get messy and reliablity is critical....

James Murphy said:
never tried the Crucial, but i had an Apple store "Genius" send me to an online 3rd party vendor and i had nothing but trouble. i went back to apple and bought the Apple Samsung RAM and have had no problems. i complained to the guy and he said it may have had to do with having my original Samsung RAM in, along with the other stuff... i can't for the life of me understand why it should make a difference, but it did. as soon as i had all Samsung Apple RAM in my box it started working great. so, if you get the Crucial later and you start having problems right after that, try removing the original ram and see if it clears up. if not, put the original ram back in and take out the Crucial... and test it. do all this before warranty runs out... typically 90 days. i've only ever had problems with my macs when trying to skimp and get non-apple ram. in fact, as i type this i'm on my powerbook which i've carried across the US and back and forth across the Atlantic for a year and a half now and it still runs just as smooth as the day i bought it... smoother even since the Tiger OS.

I will second everything James has said here. I had a very bad experience mixing different brands of RAM in my G4 a couple of years ago, where I was having incessant crashing. I think the rule of thumb is to stick with one brand of RAM per computer. I'm too paranoid to go for anything but the Apple RAM these days. :D

My friend was buying RAM for his Dual G5 and wanted to know what to buy so we just did some searches on the Apple Discusion Forums.

I think we went with Corsair and it worked out just fine. You have to make sure to have matching pairs or you'll have problems.

You should really check out the Apple Discussion forums though, some people are having problems with certain types of memory in the Dual Cores.

Splastik, this is why i stick with apple memory, from the apple store. it's the best way to avoid to whole "trial and error" mucking about that i have to go through every time a change anything internal on my PC. i don't want to "experiment" to see what works.. i need to be recording and mixing with that time. this makes the added cost of the apple memory worth it to me, and to anyone with any ability to time manage at all. if you wasted money on bad ram while trying to find a cheap deal then you've actually wasted money and time. i live by the rule "spend once, and spend well"... get it done, and get back to work. i guess if you have the time to experiment, go for it... just make sure you can return the RAM just becuase it doesn't work well in your system... because that doesn't mean it's defective in general.

James Murphy said:
Splastik, this is why i stick with apple memory, from the apple store. it's the best way to avoid to whole "trial and error" mucking about that i have to go through every time a change anything internal on my PC. i don't want to "experiment" to see what works.. i need to be recording and mixing with that time. this makes the added cost of the apple memory worth it to me, and to anyone with any ability to time manage at all. if you wasted money on bad ram while trying to find a cheap deal then you've actually wasted money and time. i live by the rule "spend once, and spend well"... get it done, and get back to work. i guess if you have the time to experiment, go for it... just make sure you can return the RAM just becuase it doesn't work well in your system... because that doesn't mean it's defective in general.

That's cool James, I have an Apple store near me, a couple actually. I'll go there and check it out. Also, not to be an ass kisser, but I think it's really cool that you take the time to help us out on here...Oh and Spiritual Healing rules...:headbang: :headbang: Thanks!!

-Joe

James Murphy said:
Apple Store...

...just make sure you can return the RAM just becuase it doesn't work well in your system... because that doesn't mean it's defective in general.

Yeah, I agree, if you can spend the high prices for Apple Store go for it. Especially for you since you need it right away and can't afford any down time. Plus I think you can factor it into business expenses for taxes I believe.

Store return policy is another big thing to check into if you're buying from a computer store.

The store we went to wouldn't allow cash returns if it didn't work because we were putting the RAM into a Mac and their tech staff/repair people won't touch them, we could only exhange it within 15 days. But the RAM was dirt cheap compared to Apple store, at least half the price. If not less.

Be sure to tell them you're putting it into a Mac, their store policy might be different.

macsales does offer the official same ram as that comes from Apple. I bout the 1GB samsung stick for my powerbook and never had any problems and saved a whole load :)