power metal article in the new Guitar World

Yngvai X

Dark Emperor
Jul 18, 2002
Woodland Park, NJ
www.myspace.com
I posted this over at the Progpower forum, but thought I'd share it here too:

Just calling attention to a multi page article in the new Guitar World on powermetal. Theres a lot of interview snippets from Jeff Loomis and Gus G. and one of the HammerFall guitarists. Theres some things I raise an eyebrow at (such as the choices for the 11 most essential powermetal albums and the fact that they kept conjuring Rhapsody-like imagry to describe powermetal as a whole), but for a mainstream music magazine article, its rather good, and some of the more lowkey bands get a mention. Just to give you an idea, they mention at least once the following bands: Dream Evil, Rhapsody, Manowar, HammerFall, Helloween, Nevermore, Jag Panzer, Virgin Steele, Nightwish, Gamma Ray, Rage, Grave Digger, Running Wild, Accept, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Symphony X, Kamelot, Lost Horizon, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Demons & Wizards, Symphorce, Twilightning, Firewind....ahm I think I might have forgotten a few.

Also I have to love how Loomis and Gus G lay the smackdown on the US metal scene, to quote Gus "I think America just eats what MTV feeds them.

I read snippets of that article when I was browsing through the magazine at my local borders. I was surprised they even mentioned Jeff Loomis' name in there along with Nevermore and all those bands. I just hope none of this leads to bands giving it to mtv rather than giving it to the music.

bball_1523 said:
I read snippets of that article when I was browsing through the magazine at my local borders. I was surprised they even mentioned Jeff Loomis' name in there along with Nevermore and all those bands. I just hope none of this leads to bands giving it to mtv rather than giving it to the music.

do you really think one article in a guitar magazine is going to make bands like Dream Evil sell out? Give me a break...

I bought that magazine...the article was helpful to me considering I haven't known very much about the history of metal.

But I have to ask this. Sorry if it sounds ignorant, but why did they put Queensryche under power metal in the article? I don't quite get that one...

Rose Immortal said:
I bought that magazine...the article was helpful to me considering I haven't known very much about the history of metal.

But I have to ask this. Sorry if it sounds ignorant, but why did they put Queensryche under power metal in the article? I don't quite get that one...

Because whoever wrote the article doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Metropolis Part 2 said:
Most of the Press don't know shit about anything Metal. It's very evident.

I agree. It's good to see that metal is being promoted and all, but the amount of wrong stuff people write about is alarming.

Heh, well, given that I tend to be a bit ignorant myself...I figured I'd better ask. But unlike the press...I KNOW I need to ask questions. ;)

Still, regardless of errors, I am glad this article was written. Now I have yet another list of bands to investigate...