History of Power Metal article in Guitar World

Ruthven said:
Bands like the Last Dance and Rosetta Stone belong to a genre that frequently uses aggressive male vocals? :p :D

You have trouble distinguishing between "Frequently" and "Always" I assume? ;)

mtlheart said:
You have trouble distinguishing between "Frequently" and "Always" I assume? ;)

:D No, no - I'm just a real stickler over how the terms "gothic" and "goth" are used when applied to music. The terms are used so much that they are in danger of losing their meaning. I don't see a lot of the goth rock influence in a lot of the bands frequently described as "gothic metal." These days, it seems like any band with orchestration, atmospheric keyboards, or even female vocals are labelled as such. Personally, with those bands, I usually just consider them crackin' good metal bands with orchestration, atmospheric keyboards, and/or female vocals. :)

Certainly many bands feature themes that could be considered "gothic" (including Judas Priest, for that matter). But in general, when it comes to describing a style of music as "gothic" or "goth," I think it should bear some of the influence from bands such as Bauhaus and the like. For example, I'd consider Katatonia as gothic metal (back when they were metal, that is), since I can hear Joy Division and other postpunk influences in their sound.

Carry on... :) I sometimes feel like I am some kind of goth ambassador to metal.

Incidentally, I read the article and rather enjoyed it. From the cover ("The Bizarre History of Power Metal") and the beginning as mentioned before (the fantasy allusions), in general I found it to be a well-done article for a non-metal magazine. I agree that some that the choices for "best power metal" albums was weak, even though all of the albums that I remember on the list were good (just not always my definition of "power metal"). I like Demons & Wizards, but Blind Guardian should have been represented. Still, better than most magazine articles on the subject from people who apparently aren't fans of the subgenre.

One thing I definitely liked was showing the difference between power metal and '80's metal. So many non-metal journalists seem to think that power metal bands are simply revivalists and nothing more, ignoring the differences between then and now.

Yngvai X said:
I dunno...I think what made that album so shitty was the ass production.
I agree completely. However, it's impossible to seperate a CD from its production. Good songs that sound like crap, still sound like crap. That being said, I can't wait for the re-release of "Enemies".

Yngvai X said:
And these days genres are broadening. I mean you take a band like Opeth and then a band like Nile and one like Dark Tranquility...all these fall into the cateogory of "death metal" somehow but they don't sound at all like each other.
Which is why classifying bands in genres is generally a bad idea. If someone asks me to describe a band, I think it makes more sense to describe that band by choosing bands who they're similar too, rather than saying what genre they best fit into.

Yngvai X said:
So in this respect I don't see whats so hard to believe about calling bands that sit on the boarderline thrash end like Iced Earth, Nevermore, Grave Digger, Rage etc powermetal...
Hey, broaden it further, and simply say they're a Metal band. However, I don't think it's the vocal style that is the primary factor in defining a band. For instance, I think Nevermore is heavier sounding than Opeth. Yet, no one would make that assumption if all they knew was that Nevermore is Power Metal and Opeth is Death Metal.

Zod

Also I have to love how Loomis and Gus G lay the smackdown on the US metal scene, to quote Gus "I think America just eats what MTV feeds them."

This goes to show how truly out of touch these more well-known metal guys are. American power metal kicks the crap out of Euro-happy-cheese. Most of the American bands simply aren't as well-known.

As for that list... about half of those discs sound identical... how are they supposed to be ALL required listening for a power metal fan? Although I was pleasantly surprised to see Hall of the Mountain King there... Savatage was the first band to be referred to, on a regular basis, as "power metal". Here are my recommendations for the list:

1) Pull Rhapsody, Hammerfall, and Lost Horizon. The Manowar and Helloween discs already cover everything that those three bands contributed to the scene. 8 discs.

2) Pull Demons and Wizards, and, instead, include Iced Earth's The Dark Saga (personally, I prefer Night of the Stormrider, but I consider it to be more of a thrash album), and Blind Guardian's Imaginations from the Other Side. 9 discs.

3) Add in Tad Morose - Matters of the Dark. Where's the DARK power metal representation here? For that matter, also add in Morgana Lefay - Maleficium. It's similar in style, but places much more emphasis on aggression and complexity than Tad Morose, which places more emphasis on melody. Both of these albums are power metal essentials. 11 discs.

4) If we're calling Nightwish and Iron Maiden power metal, we might as well call In Flames power metal. Add in The Jester Race. (I realize At the Gates invented this genre, but In Flames brought it to the people.) 12 discs.

5) On a personal note, pull that pile of shite Enemies of Reality, and add in Dead Heart in a Dead World (I prefer Dreaming Neon Black, but I don't think it's quite as power metal oriented; DHiaDW fits the list better). 12 discs.

6) Last but not least, pull Queensryche. Sorry, but as awesome as they are, they're not power metal. They don't fit the list. 11 discs.

So, my own personal revised list would be:

Manowar - Hail to England
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt 1
Iron Maiden - 7th Son of a 7th Son
Tad Morose - Matters of the Dark
Morgana Lefay - Maleficium
Iced Earth - The Dark Saga
Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side
Nightwish - Century Child
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
In Flames - The Jester Race

Thanks for reading. ;) I think I've wasted enough time before work.

booB said:
1) Pull Rhapsody, Hammerfall, and Lost Horizon. The Manowar and Helloween discs already cover everything that those three bands contributed to the scene.
Dead on.

booB said:
2) Pull Demons and Wizards, and, instead, include Iced Earth's The Dark Saga (personally, I prefer Night of the Stormrider, but I consider it to be more of a thrash album), and Blind Guardian's Imaginations from the Other Side. 9 discs.
You're 2 for 2.

booB said:
3) Add in Tad Morose - Matters of the Dark. Where's the DARK power metal representation here?
Now you're scaring me.

booB said:
4) If we're calling Nightwish and Iron Maiden power metal, we might as well call In Flames power metal. Add in The Jester Race. (I realize At the Gates invented this genre, but In Flames brought it to the people.) 12 discs.
I'd agree that In Flames approved upon what At the Gates started. But if we're pulling "Enemies" in favor of "Dead Heart", because the latter is the most Power-oriented CD in their discography, than you should probably go with "Clayman" if you feel the need to include In Flames.

booB said:
5) On a personal note, pull that pile of shite Enemies of Reality, and add in Dead Heart in a Dead World (I prefer Dreaming Neon Black, but I don't think it's quite as power metal oriented; DHiaDW fits the list better). 12 discs.
Agree on all counts.

booB said:
6) Last but not least, pull Queensryche. Sorry, but as awesome as they are, they're not power metal. They don't fit the list.
Correct again. Glenn, give this man a prize.

Zod

4) If we're calling Nightwish and Iron Maiden power metal, we might as well call In Flames power metal. Add in The Jester Race. (I realize At the Gates invented this genre, but In Flames brought it to the people.)

this makes no sense.

As for Essential Power Metal it has to include: Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Kamelot, Rhapsody, Manowar, Virgin Steele, Nightwish, Savatage, Dio/Rainbow/Black Sabbath, Hammerfall, Jag Panzer, Grave Digger, Running Wild, Helloween, and maybe Gamma Ray/Morgana Lefay/Demons & Wizards/Stratovarius/Rage

I think that Basil Poledouris' score for "Conan the Barbarian" is one of the best (and probably most influential) power metal albums I have ever heard - even if it is not, technically speaking, metal ;)

booB said:
This goes to show how truly out of touch these more well-known metal guys are. American power metal kicks the crap out of Euro-happy-cheese. Most of the American bands simply aren't as well-known.

This has got to be one of the silliest things I've ever read on here. Theres agressive and cheesy bands on both continents. Persuader is one of the most agressive powermetal bands I've ever heard, and they're Swedish. Kamelot is on the cheesy side and they're American. So is Manowar.

Ruthven said:
:D No, no - I'm just a real stickler over how the terms "gothic" and "goth" are used when applied to music. The terms are used so much that they are in danger of losing their meaning. I don't see a lot of the goth rock influence in a lot of the bands frequently described as "gothic metal." These days, it seems like any band with orchestration, atmospheric keyboards, or even female vocals are labelled as such. Personally, with those bands, I usually just consider them crackin' good metal bands with orchestration, atmospheric keyboards, and/or female vocals. :)

Certainly many bands feature themes that could be considered "gothic" (including Judas Priest, for that matter). But in general, when it comes to describing a style of music as "gothic" or "goth," I think it should bear some of the influence from bands such as Bauhaus and the like. For example, I'd consider Katatonia as gothic metal (back when they were metal, that is), since I can hear Joy Division and other postpunk influences in their sound.

Carry on... :) I sometimes feel like I am some kind of goth ambassador to metal.

It's actually quite refreshing to read this post. Metal, actually Music in all it's forms, is a constantly evolving entity. As new artists take elements from current forms and expound upon them new genres are developed all the time. It's good to hear from someone who actually cares enough about a genre to still make distinctions.
I agree with your post, and can only shake my head when bands that extract the atmospheric elements of Gothic, like Within Temptation and Lunatica, are still labeled as Gothic. Gothic Metal is by no means my forte, but I know enough to understand that Sirenia is Gothic Metal... Within Temptation is not.

I feel the same way about Power Metal. It seems to be the genre that people want to use as a catch-all for all kinds of weird reasons. Metal to "empower" the listener? Empowered to do what? Ride unicorns into battle against dragons, and then celebrate victory by dancing with elves in the forest? Metal to pump you up for battle? Everything from Classical to Country to Rap to Black Metal pumps soldiers. I'd postulate that many a Metal Fan in the services could get pretty pumped by KISS, Judas Priest, Saxon, The Scorpions, AC/DC, Twisted Sister, or even Cinderella, none of which are Power Metal. It's also probably fair to say that a diehard Thrash or Death fan isn't going to get particularly motivated by the likes of Freedom Call.

Why is Stratovarius Power, Conception Progressive, and PC69 neither? For that matter why is Conception Progressive, and Kamelot Power? It's not style of vocals obviously. They're not lyrically profoundly different either. So there must be some other criteria that define them.

Most Metal fans don't even know exactly what Heavy Metal is. What makes a song Metal anyway? Why is Helter Skelter by the Beatles Rock, but Metal by Motley Crue? It's not how "hard" a song is played, nor the tempo. The Scorpions' Holiday is a Metal song, but Styx's harder-faster Renegade and Foriegner's Rev On The Red Line are a rock songs. Why? Not many people seem to know. Songs get "Metalized" but how does that happen? Survivor’s Eye Of The Tiger is a Rock song that got Metalized by At Vance. So what did At Vance do to really change the song?

Lately every "pick me up ditty" that comes along gets labeled "Power Metal." As a result one of the most earthshaking powerful forms of metal is fast becoming a laughing stock. The term “Prozac Metal” is hardly meant to be flattering. To quote Yngvai X, “You see powermetal as throwing your fists in the air and banging your head...so do I...but I see ALL metal as that, not just powermetal.” That’s absolutely correct. Most people just don’t understand the difference.

Some people ask "Why have genre's anyway? It's all good right?" Well maybe it's all GOOD, or not depending on everyone's individual taste, but it's not all the SAME. If it were then Glenn could book Kenny Rogers or Asia to headline PP 7. Why not, it's all music, right? Why bother seperating Pop from Rock, or Rock from Metal at all. Hell it's all good! Right?

So Power Metal is not necessarily about uplifting anyone’s spirits or getting someone pumped up. Def Leppard and Aerosmith were doing that 25 years ago, and neither is Power Metal.

Well, that's enough of my rant, so I’m relinquishing the soapbox to anyone who cares to step up on it.

mtlheart said:
Lately every "pick me up ditty" that comes along gets labeled "Power Metal." As a result one of the most earthshaking powerful forms of metal is fast becoming a laughing stock. The term “Prozac Metal” is hardly meant to be flattering.

Well, as the person who uses the term "prozac metal" to describe the ligther side of powermetal, I mean no disrespect by it...I'm just implying that this shit is uplifting and happy. I love Gamma Ray...they are my musical prozac. I could have a knife to my wrist and someone could play "Beyond the Black Hole" and I'd probably put the knife down. I mean that as a compliment to Kai & Co.

mtlheart said:
Metal to "empower" the listener? Empowered to do what? Ride unicorns into battle against dragons, and then celebrate victory by dancing with elves in the forest?

I'm sorry, not to disregard the rest of your post which was pretty good, but this is one of the funniest things I've read in a loooong time. :D

Shaye

mtlheart said:
It's actually quite refreshing to read this post. Metal, actually Music in all it's forms, is a constantly evolving entity. As new artists take elements from current forms and expound upon them new genres are developed all the time. It's good to hear from someone who actually cares enough about a genre to still make distinctions.

Thanks - I feel the same way about your post as well.

I am a little divided on the issue of "genre." I agree with what Zod said a page back, in general I try to shy away from using only genres to describe music stlyes and instead try to make comparisons with like-minded bands. Sometimes that gets a little tricky, but it doesn't seem as limiting to me. Genres can be useful, but then you wind up getting people who are so loyal to one style that they turn a deaf ear to anything that isn't a part of their pet genres.

When I do make the distinctions when certain genres already have a built-in subculture. Like goth for example, or...well, metal for that matter! :D I just don't want to approrpiate a musical term that has been in use for decades to mean something else.

"4) If we're calling Nightwish and Iron Maiden power metal, we might as well call In Flames power metal. Add in The Jester Race. (I realize At the Gates invented this genre, but In Flames brought it to the people.)"

this makes no sense.

I'm not sure what you mean by "This makes no sense", but the reason In Flames should be included is because they are (were) Iron Maiden with death vocals. If Iron Maiden = power metal, then so is In Flames, and most of the "Gothenburg" metal style. The Jester Race is, IMO, the most representative album ever released in the Gothenburg style, and one of the highest quality.

"This goes to show how truly out of touch these more well-known metal guys are. American power metal kicks the crap out of Euro-happy-cheese. Most of the American bands simply aren't as well-known."

This has got to be one of the silliest things I've ever read on here. Theres agressive and cheesy bands on both continents. Persuader is one of the most agressive powermetal bands I've ever heard, and they're Swedish. Kamelot is on the cheesy side and they're American. So is Manowar.

I love Persuader, but they're Blind Guardian clones; if you were going to use this argument, you could have mentioned BG instead. ;) Although I think Persuader contains a fairly healthy serving of cheese, that has nothing to do with my point.

I realize there are exceptions on both sides of the pond, but there IS such an idea as "European-STYLE" power metal, and "American-STYLE" power metal. Lots of people can just listen to a few bars of a band's music, and guess, with some accuracy, what country they're from. :) Kamelot is an American band, but they play Euro-style metal (since Siege Perilous, anyway). Tad Morose is a Swedish band, but their style of power metal is darker, more aggressive, and more akin to what American power metal bands generally play.

The thing is, within power metal fan circles, the euro-style bands generally tend to be more well-known, because they're generally higher-budget. This is partly why euro-style bands are more likely to headline shows like ProgPower. Most of the American power metal bands I'm referring to are "underground" bands, or "local" bands, and the "big" metal guys like Loomis and Gus G don't even know they exist (or don't really acknowledge their existence). For that matter, many power metal FANS are the same way. I can't tell you how many times I've told people I was going to see Division play at last year's Powerfest, and they said, "Division? You mean the LOCAL band from Virginia?"

booB said:
"4) If we're calling Nightwish and Iron Maiden power metal, we might as well call In Flames power metal. Add in The Jester Race. (I realize At the Gates invented this genre, but In Flames brought it to the people.)"

this makes no sense.

I'm not sure what you mean by "This makes no sense", but the reason In Flames should be included is because they are (were) Iron Maiden with death vocals. If Iron Maiden = power metal, then so is In Flames, and most of the "Gothenburg" metal style. The Jester Race is, IMO, the most representative album ever released in the Gothenburg style, and one of the highest quality.

"This goes to show how truly out of touch these more well-known metal guys are. American power metal kicks the crap out of Euro-happy-cheese. Most of the American bands simply aren't as well-known."

I love Persuader, but they're Blind Guardian clones; if you were going to use this argument, you could have mentioned BG instead. ;) Although I think Persuader contains a fairly healthy serving of cheese, that has nothing to do with my point.

I realize there are exceptions on both sides of the pond, but there IS such an idea as "European-STYLE" power metal, and "American-STYLE" power metal. Lots of people can just listen to a few bars of a band's music, and guess, with some accuracy, what country they're from. :) Kamelot is an American band, but they play Euro-style metal (since Siege Perilous, anyway). Tad Morose is a Swedish band, but their style of power metal is darker, more aggressive, and more akin to what American power metal bands generally play.

The thing is, within power metal fan circles, the euro-style bands generally tend to be more well-known, because they're generally higher-budget. This is partly why euro-style bands are more likely to headline shows like ProgPower. Most of the American power metal bands I'm referring to are "underground" bands, or "local" bands, and the "big" metal guys like Loomis and Gus G don't even know they exist (or don't really acknowledge their existence). For that matter, many power metal FANS are the same way. I can't tell you how many times I've told people I was going to see Division play at last year's Powerfest, and they said, "Division? You mean the LOCAL band from Virginia?"

Oh , now you've done it! You've complicated the matter by letting the cat out of the bag that there's 2 styles of Power Metal. Do ya think it would set heads aspinning if it was revealed that there are 2 schools of Euro-Power??? :D

I don't follow the logic of "If Iron Maiden = power metal, then so is In Flames" Iron Maiden is much closer to power metal than In Flames.

Oh , now you've done it! You've complicated the matter by letting the cat out of the bag that there's 2 styles of Power Metal. Do ya think it would set heads aspinning if it was revealed that there are 2 schools of Euro-Power???

LOL... well, there are actually craploads of different kinds of power metal. This is actually my point... if you're going to make a list of 11 "essential" power metal albums, they should at least cover as many styles as possible. That's really the only reason I went on my great big rant about amending the list. It's good to see my point wasn't completely lost. :)

I don't follow the logic of "If Iron Maiden = power metal, then so is In Flames" Iron Maiden is much closer to power metal than In Flames.

I just told you my logic. Gothenburg death metal is just melodic power metal (or in some cases, a mix of power and thrash), with death vocals. If you don't believe me, pick up The Jester Race, Whoracle, or Colony by In Flames, and listen to JUST the music, while ignoring the vocals. I guarantee that the musical style will sound very familiar.

lucretia96 said:

The Iron Maiden = Power Metal thing stems from the article listing them as "essential" but really Iron Maiden isn't really Power Metal. They're Heavy Metal. Gothenburg has a lot in common musically with Power Metal, true, because they both branch out from Speed Metal. Iron Maiden has a lot in common vocally, since Dickinson's singing was a big influence on the genre. Neither one of them is any closer to Power Metal than the other. Iron Maiden doesn't belong on the list and neither does In Flames.
I'm thinking his point is that if you start putting non-power bands on an essential list you might as well put other related types of metal on it too. That way you get a more diversified look at what they think they're talking about.
That's right IF Iron Maiden belonged on the list, which they don't, so it's not right.. but it would be if...

Anyway, Colony does kick ass though, and I personally I think Soundtrack To Your Escape is just as good.