April Guitar World - Article on Modern Metal Production

Jind

Grrrr!!! (I'm a bear)
Mar 7, 2009
As stated in the title, this coming months issue of Guitar World magazine has part one of a two part article entitled "The Sound and the Fury - Guitar World's guide to recording Modern Metal."

It has been authored by Jeff Tenym and is very much in the style of the article that was printed last year in Sound on Sound magazine if you recall their two part special on extreme metal production.

I'm sure their will be some that share the same attitudes and opinions towards this series of articles that they did the previous ones - that they are too basic, easily found elsewhere, ... and it's true, but it's still nice to have something we are all passionate about getting some press lately.

The author mentions that a large portion of this tutorial will be covering drums and recording them as he feels it is one of the most difficult dynamics of modern metal to get right - he quotes "suffice to say that drums will be a central focus of our study", he then spends the next few pages discussing kit and room choices, determining the best location to record your drums, using your budget, if you have one, towards the portions that you should book studio time for if you can in sections titled "Recording with a studio budget" and "Recording with a tight -or no - budget". after choosing a room, he discusses kit setup for best sound recording, tuning and dampening, and size choices.

He then does a quick discussion of string gauge choice and the importance of proper intonation (I'm not sure why he does this in the middle of the drum section, but oh well) and what he believes are the minimum gauge choices for down tuned bass and guitar strings.

Then back to drums and mic choice and mic placement. A pretty informative section including specific models and methods including drawn illustrations to reference. As stated before - yes, it is information that can easily be found elsewhere, but it's still a nice thing to see all together in one place.

A few smaller sections on bass, guitar, and vocal mic choice and placement, and then directly into a section on the importance of using click tracks with some quotes from Slayer's Dave Lombardo and Brann Dailor of Mastadon talking about how they have made their lives much easier. Well duh? Yea? Sort of a given I would think by now.

He finishes this first article discussing drum editing, quantization, and kick building for replacement of individual hits and/or entire kick drum tracks.

He promises that next months article will be focused on "how to mix modern metal." While it is simple stuff, I still enjoy finding something I love getting some major press in the trade magazines as specifics to metal production seem to get very little coverage when compared to other genres. While the knowledge is cross genre, it's still enjoyable to find and have in small easily digestible articles.

So - if you get Guitar World look for it - it's a quick read. Plus you get a really strange (aren't they all?) interview with Varg Vikernes of black metals Burzum - his interviews always make me gigle a little bit, but I suppose it's just me.

yeah, those articles seem to contain actual sentences, word for word, that I remember posting on this forum hahaha I think that the writer of the sound on sound article must have pulled some shit off this forum. no joke