Modern production

Hell Awaits Us All

New Metal Member
Oct 22, 2006
Killing You
man, I am really starting to notice why people hate this modern digital production. The lack of range in the sound is very irritating

I was listening to nile "unas slayer of the gods" and the egyptian acoustic guitar parts are every bit as loud as the super brutal death metal parts

I really prefer metal production from like 1992-1998. Control denied "fragile art of existence" has absolutely perfect production.

i dunno, cuz when there is good music, modern productions don't make difference to me.

anyway, The best Producers are:

Peter Tägtgren
Fredrik Nordstrom
Roy Z
Andy Sneap
Scott Burns

Production can make or break a album.

I swear to god Immortal's Battles In The North would be 1000000 times better if the production was better.

Though The production on early darkthrone records help them set an effect.

i dunno, cuz when there is good music, modern productions don't make difference to me.

anyway, The best Producers are:

Peter Tägtgren
Fredrik Nordstrom
Roy Z
Andy Sneap
Scott Burns

Producers only oversee the recording and give a little advice.

Mixers do the production.

what? explain.

Ok.

When a band goes to record they enlist a producer. A producer oversees the recording process. They help with gear. They give tips about how a song can change for the better a little. Help with protools. Make sure no one is fucking around. Thats why you may notice bands produce there own music because they don't want someone else doing this for them.

Mixers are in after the recording is done. Mixers mix the help together and help with the production. They make the album sound a certain way. They chose how high the vocals and the bass are. They remove any unwanted gain on the track.

Make sense?

Ok.

When a band goes to record they enlist a producer. A producer oversees the recording process. They help with gear. They give tips about how a song can change for the better a little. Help with protools. Make sure no one is fucking around. Thats why you may notice bands produce there own music because they don't want someone else doing this for them.

Mixers are in after the recording is done. Mixers mix the help together and help with the production. They make the album sound a certain way. They chose how high the vocals and the bass are. They remove any unwanted gain on the track.

Make sense?

yeah, u r right:headbang:

but, Enemies of Reality from Nevermore was remixed cuz the PRODUCER wasn't Andy Sneap.

the songs are the same on this albun, but the PRODUCTION of the remixed is very difference.

so, why did they call Andy Sneap to remix this albun?

i guess the producers do the mix work too

Ditto with Opeth, getting Steven Wilson in at the last minute to fix up the sound on Deliverance.

As a general rule I prefer modern production to old school production. If the music needs to retain a raw feel, it shouldn't be a problem with modern production to achieve that. The problems tend to come when bands focus too much on production and effects and not enough on songwriting.

I've never understood what is meant by the term 'overproduced'. How can an album be overproduced? The mix is either right or wrong. To me it can only mean 'too much focus on enhancements and effects', but this is more an element of songwriting, not production.

I've never understood what is meant by the term 'overproduced'. How can an album be overproduced? The mix is either right or wrong. To me it can only mean 'too much focus on enhancements and effects', but this is more an element of songwriting, not production.

It depends. I use the term "overproduced" quite a bit. A good comparison is to take say, early At the Gates vs new In Flames, or old Enslaved vs new Enslaved. It seems these days they take the grit right out of the music, and during mixing the guitars are set lower than what they should be, with drums and vocals drowning everything else out. Albums like this I simply cannot listen to as they bore the hell out of me.

It might be the songwriting I am not sure. I mix my own music and it comes out fine, but then, I never try very hard to get a "clean" sound, and I don't use any effects.

Production can make or break a album.

I swear to god Immortal's Battles In The North would be 1000000 times better if the production was better.

Though The production on early darkthrone records help them set an effect.
Battles In The North would be a better album than Sons of Northern Darkness w/ better production. They should re-release like Dimmu did w/ Stormblast. Some would disagree and say the original Stormblast was better but I find the updated Stormblast to have a richer sound and its just an overall better album.

Battles In The North would be a better album than Sons of Northern Darkness w/ better production. They should re-release like Dimmu did w/ Stormblast. Some would disagree and say the original Stormblast was better but I find the updated Stormblast to have a richer sound and its just an overall better album.

I also prefer the newer version of Stormblast.

Modern production can work wonders for a band - just look at Pain of Salvation, it has worked perfectly for them - and is incredible in clarity for all the instruments, however for some bands it just fails them - such as fucking Blind Guardian with their piece of shit A Night At The Opera in which EVERY possible amount of testosterone was removed and replaced with fluffy bunny essence due to the shitty production.

Fuck modern production in Metal. Compressing the shit out of heavy music should be illegal.

Yea, Immortal should re-release it not re-record.

Old stormblast is better then the new one.

Fuck modern production in Metal. Compressing the shit out of heavy music should be illegal.

True. Compressing is only good in other fourms of music.

Does anyone know that necro production started with the blues. Listen to some old Blind Willie Johnson.

To be honest, I really dislike the direction production has taken in the past few years especially. For example, to me it seems like every band of off Roadrunner Records (for a prime example) has a very generic sound to them, with a flat dull drum sound, awful bass, generic guitar sound. And I can't help nowadays but when I first listen to a new album, sometimes I need time just to adjust to the production values.

Then again it depends on what type of music it is. If it's death metal I prefer good production but not overproduced. Death Metal that has a thick dull production will usually translate to a dull, bland sounding album imo. But death metal with too sharp a sound will come off as being almost artificial and awful sounding. Anything non metal or black metal, I usually prefer the older techniques over modern production.