praises to the war machine - any production info?

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
title says it all....anyone got some info regarding the production on warrel dane's solo album??

i've been spinning that one for at least a month now....definitely took me some time, but it's a real grower! hated it at first, now i'm loving every second (except for that weaker 3rd track)

i'm really enjoying the production on this one, too. nice choice of tones, and especially great vocal production. lots of stuff to discover there.
the guitars don't sound like your typical modern metal tone at all imho...i dunno, they seem to have a slight digital edge, but at the same time they don't, haha. very fat tone too....if i had to guess either anything peavey, or rectifier...

my only gripe is that the bass is just a tad too loud on some sections, but then again that's part of the albums fat sound, so i grew used to it.

but well, bottom line is that i LOVE this record.
curious about your comments....and especially if anyone got some background info!

nah, i kinda doubt that lol. there's just something weird in the higher midrange that kinda reminds me of digital some times, but then again the chugs to me sound like a real amp cranked pretty high, so there you go lol.

I know what you mean about the 'digital sound' on those guitars. They're a bit muddy and wet sounding to me and yet every track on the album, despite having different players, seems to have almost exactly the same tone. So is it all DI's and re-amp'd through the same setup or did the guys playing on it just bring their own guitar and plug into the same rig? Great album overall. Not mind-blowing but compared to some artists' solo attempts it's very solid.

I know what you mean about the 'digital sound' on those guitars. They're a bit muddy and wet sounding to me and yet every track on the album, despite having different players, seems to have almost exactly the same tone. So is it all DI's and re-amp'd through the same setup or did the guys playing on it just bring their own guitar and plug into the same rig? Great album overall. Not mind-blowing but compared to some artists' solo attempts it's very solid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praises_to_the_War_Machine

Peter Wichers and Matt Wicklund split gtr duties pretty equally, and both play Caparisons with 85's in the bridge.

And the Loomis solo was tracked by a sneapster sitting on his bed :lol:

I'd go further into it but I have beard fear! (any aussies gonna get that reference?)

yeah it's pretty safe to say that they tracked DI and reamped all the takes through the same amp(s).

btw, i just noticed that on some websites mattias nilsson is also credited for mixing...any infos on that??

anyways, of course the album isn't exactly a milestone from a guitar POV, but imho the songs are very well written and do exactly what they are supposed to: provide a background that supports WD's ideas so to say....and once again, imho it's done really really well.