Ashes OF The Wake ... Production

Metalhead28 said:
I read an interview with Machine talking about that production...I don't remembner where it was...possibly a guitar mag.
Anyway, he explained that for that album he used only one guitar track per side. Instead of tracking multiple performances, he layered the sound of several different amps instead. Either by splitting the signal or with re-amping. Some of them with a very clean sound to enhance the clarity of the playing. I also read an interview with Lamb of God where they made the same comments and said that they would never again record more than two guitar tracks on their albums. They loved the clarity of a single track per side.

It was a short interview with Machine in Guitar World. He said that each guitar was split three ways, and the final signal wound up being about 70% Mesa Mark IV, 20% Marshall JCM800, and 10% SansAmp direct. Bascily, the tone was Mesa, but with some added Marshall midrange thickness, and a little top-end sizzle from the SansAmp.

I really dig the guitar tone on this album. I think they got something pretty unique that I haven't heard before, and it works really well for their music. A huge improvement over As the Palaces Burn, because that tone was way too thin and dry. Hearing the old stuff live with the new tones absolutely kicks.

Has anyone noticed that the drums on Trivium's Ascendancy sound similar?

noodlesatf said:

Has anyone noticed that the drums on Trivium's Ascendancy sound similar?

I did not think so.....the triviums drums to me sound less natural then the ASOTW drums...

guitarguru777 said:
Gotta love the Old Scool Mark IV ... just an all around bad ass amp.

i got one! :headbang:

3c1498ed.jpg

Mesa Boogie Mark IV medium head
Marshall 1960AV Vintage cab w/ V30 speakers
Gibson Explorer (ex. In Flames guitar)

noodlesatf said:
A huge improvement over As the Palaces Burn, because that tone was way too thin and dry.

I don't know man... I think As the Palaces Burn is pretty chunky and cool. Really hit hard in the mids and I really liked it. I also thought the vocals were cool on that CD. In fact.. the only part I didn't like was the drums which I think are really great on Ashes of the Wake. Which I don't really like the guitar sound from... I guess I really like the thickness of a good doubling. (Like Hypocrisys and Nevermore) To each his own though. :)

Sinister Mephisto said:
I don't know man... I think As the Palaces Burn is pretty chunky and cool. Really hit hard in the mids and I really liked it. I also thought the vocals were cool on that CD. In fact.. the only part I didn't like was the drums which I think are really great on Ashes of the Wake. Which I don't really like the guitar sound from... I guess I really like the thickness of a good doubling. (Like Hypocrisys and Nevermore) To each his own though. :)

I like them both but Ashes production works me better.....the drums are really weak on Palaces....

chadsxe said:
I did not think so.....the triviums drums to me sound less natural then the ASOTW drums...

Maybe it's just me. I think metal drums have all started to sound the same in recent years. Huge, but not that natural, particularly on the kick. Then again, I guess that is the price you have to pay to make double bass sound crushing, since mic'ing them doesn't produce the same results.

Funky Animal, I hope you're not confusing my perception of the drum sound with the quality of the playing. I don't think Travis Smith can touch Adler.

Sinister Mephisto said:
I don't know man... I think As the Palaces Burn is pretty chunky and cool. Really hit hard in the mids and I really liked it. I also thought the vocals were cool on that CD. In fact.. the only part I didn't like was the drums which I think are really great on Ashes of the Wake. Which I don't really like the guitar sound from... I guess I really like the thickness of a good doubling. (Like Hypocrisys and Nevermore) To each his own though.

I think the guitars on ATPB suffer from the same problems as the guitars on ...And Justice for All. Not bad on their own, but the way they are eq'ed just swallows everything else. It makes everything overall sound hollow to me. It's just a very cold, sterile sounding album. It's also my understanding that it is what they wanted, so Devin gave it to them.

I wouldn't want the guitar tone on AOTW for myself. I just think it works great for them and their style of playing. I'm only talking about the rhythm tones, because I think the lead tones are horrible. No definition, no balls, they just get lost in the mix. How do you make Skolnick and Poland sound bad? Ugg. :erk:

noodlesatf said:
Maybe it's just me. I think metal drums have all started to sound the same in recent years. Huge, but not that natural, particularly on the kick. Then again, I guess that is the price you have to pay to make double bass sound crushing, since mic'ing them doesn't produce the same results.

Funky Animal, I hope you're not confusing my perception of the drum sound with the quality of the playing. I don't think Travis Smith can touch Adler.

No man, not at all :)..
I guess we have a bit different ears :loco: ... cause I think they don't sound the same by far.. Travis might be a faster then Adler, but still Adler has moves that are "unique" in it's own way which makes his drumming stand out more...he's got an own style going on.. that's my feeling about it..

Yeah you're right on the point of metal kick drums, bit of a shame tho.
That's why some drum sound just sounded so refreshing to my ears...here my favorite sounds of drums
Snare on Nymphetamine of CoF
Whole kit sound of Doomsday Machine specially the toms and snare...
Slipknot - Vol.3 very refreshing sound to it
Shadows Fall - The War Within
LoG Ashes of the Awake to close with since I don't want to go to much off-topic..hehe

I personally really like the production on As Palaces Burn. Sure, sonically speaking it's not The Gathering or Around The Fur, but it has it's own personality and distinct sound - which I think is more important in the long run. Same goes for And Justice....

Here's kind of a funny little tidbit - I was doing a session at a studio a little while back, and I had As Palaces rockin' on iTunes. I slapped the graphic eq on there and tweaked it a little (a lot). The studio owner comes in and after a few minutes exclaims "That has to be one of the best sounding metal records I've ever heard!" I looked at him and said, "Really?" while I brought the eq back up and bypassed it. Then he goes, "Oh" and walked out of the control room.

Funky Animal said:
I guess we have a bit different ears :loco: ... cause I think they don't sound the same by far.. Travis might be a faster then Adler, but still Adler has moves that are "unique" in it's own way which makes his drumming stand out more...he's got an own style going on.. that's my feeling about it..

Well, I am a guitarist. What do we know about drum sounds? :lol:

I love the drums on The War Within. I hate the guitars, though. Too muddy, but they suffer from that problem, live, too.

noodlesatf said:
Well, I am a guitarist. What do we know about drum sounds? :lol:

I love the drums on The War Within. I hate the guitars, though. Too muddy, but they suffer from that problem, live, too.

Sounds like the doubled (tripled?) everything on that CD. I do love the drums though.

you've actually not understood the tom thing correctly.

I sometimes put triggers on the toms and use the trigger to open the gates via side chain. Usually tho, I just go through and delete between tom hits and replace any bad hits.

Andy Sneap said:
you've actually not understood the tom thing correctly.

I sometimes put triggers on the toms and use the trigger to open the gates via side chain. Usually tho, I just go through and delete between tom hits and replace any bad hits.

That's a load of work...ain't it? What how long does it normally take you?