Modern production

I think production can go overboard and sometimes it is under done. It's one of those things that has a balance and as such it makes a lot of sense for a producer to aid in the production of a work, just as a great writers and directors have editors. I think some where I caught an air of resentment towards the craft of producing when really metal bands are Cristina Aguelera where they write all their songs. Even the Beatles had help with producing and no one through's out their legacy or creativity.

Some examples I strongly dislike:

Recent albums from Legion of the Damned, Vader, Krisiun etc. I feel are overproduced, not that I care much for those bands anyhow. The produciton has far too much emphasis on being clear, and the outcome is a very sterile sound. I don't mind this in electronic/gothic/industrial music but never in metal.

Cradle of Filth's Thornography was produced as if it was a pop/rock album. A terrible album to begin with but way to add the proverbial insult to injury.

Yes, I was going to bring to light about how modern production will suit industrial metal but not the rest of metal.

Overprouducing can be argued that its a problem because it almost becomes poppish with placing too much emphasis on keeping it perfect and polished. Secondly, it makes the gap too wide between the live setting and the studio recording. So, it can be said that it is no longer about the original anymore. And thirdly, putting too much importance on aesthetics.

The issue of overproduction in music can be compared to the reproduction of images. I mean the layered, photoshop look of images you find everywhere, whether its album covers, advertisements, and photos.

the best production of all time in terms of a very clear but natural sound is opeth "morningrise" IMO. Everything sounds so perfect on that album, the distorted guitar is nice and heavy, the acoustic guitar has a perfectly clean sound, drumming is very crisp, bass is nicely audible. Everything is clear, heavy and fully allows Opeth to convey the sorrowful atmosphere that is a staple of their early albums.

I have to admit my liking of Focus has not exactly grown over time. I hope that pattern does not continue, but I still consider it enjoyable and original.

While not in metal, I think that probably one of the best modern production jobs belongs to The Lawrence Arms for Oh! Calcutta!

You can hear the guitars clearly but they don't overpower everything, vocals are upfront but not obnoxiously so, drums arn't overloud and too intense, and the bass is audible enough to add that little bit of awesomeness.

Fucking pop punk album having good unoverproduced production ftw

pop punk and good in the same sentence? :erk:

aren't bands like my chemical romance pop punk?

Yeah, it isn't something that happens often I guess, they're even better than Screeching Weasels who I'd previously thought to be the best of pop-punk. But I fucking swear The Lawrence Arms are fucking amazing.

Oh! Calcutta! is not only one of the catchiest albums ever made, but also very fucking "standing the test of time"ish (sure it has only been out for like less than a year I think, but I've listened to this fuckin' thing about 10 times today alone and not once have I gotten bored by it.)

MCR is really more pop-rock, not much punk in them tbqh.

I have an amazing amount of respect for MCRs recently made ex-bassist for leaving the band because the production guys purposely covered up his bass work. Same for P!ATD's ex-bassist.