Power Metal

Jul 14, 2008
Decatur, IL
Basically the title. However, I would like some power metal that isn't super silly (a la Demons & Wizards, I hate them). I have nothing at all in this genre (save for Maiden and Priest...) as I've never liked it, but I think it's time to try it out a bit more as my tastes have matured. Darker, atmospheric, aggressive. Just not too upbeat or silly is all I ask. I know of some bands, but have no idea what they're like tbh.

Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings.

It's dark, has an angry feel to it, and has some atmosphere to it.

Here's a few bands off the top of my head:

Grave Digger
Pharaoh
Kiuas
Sabaton
Wuthering Heights
Brainstorm
Kamelot

A few good un-cheesy power metal bands to start with.

That was pretty appealing. I'll get onto checking those bands out. Un-cheesy is important, at least for now. I'm sure once I find myself enjoying the un-cheesy I can find more pros in the cheesy.

You recommended Kiuas to me a while back... now I'm recommending them to people. :)

Nice bro. :cool: They're definitely in my top three favorite power metal bands. Incredible all around; vocals, instruments, atmosphere, lyrics... just a really great band. Actually, some of my other top favorite power metal acts are in your list too (Kamelot, Sabaton).

Also, Virgin Steele is a good rec. Make sure you check out their more recent material (The Marriage of Heaven and Hell albums, and the House of Atreus albums).

EDIT: for one more suggestion, possibly Evergrey. I personally don't listen to them very often, but they do play dark, aggressive power metal.

The entire Matters of the Dark album. My understanding is that their stuff without Urban Breed is doomier.

Matters of the Dark

Another Way

I can't find youtube vids for these, but Ethereal Soul and New Clear Skies are really the best two on the album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Helloween
Sonata Arctica
Blind Guardian
Gamma Ray
Saint Deamon

Greatest genre of music ever. You'll like power metal the most if you can find a way to connect with the lyrics. The lyrics are the genre's highlight imo, as long as your not listening to a crappy cheesy power metal band which seems to have plagued almost the entire genre. Can't stand any dungeons or dragons power metal, how can you connect to music about a dragon's testicles?

The Tad Morose vids are sweet. Sonata Arctica I've seen mentioned alot. Namely Systematic throwin 'em out there. they seem appealing. I've heard some Evergrey recently that really wasn't bad at all.

are you serious? did you not read his request? these guys were fondue as I recall!

I'm dead serious. How the hell can you think these guys have cheesy lyrics? Look at the lyrics those bands do and compare them to the thousands of dungeons and dragons styled power metal bands in this world. They make those band's lyrics look like the Anal Cunt lyrics. I get turned off by cheesy lyrics to, and these were the bands that made me think that power metal wasn't all about the cheese. And how can you even think Sonata Arctica has cheesy lyrics? Have you even read the lyrics they sing?