Power Metal

I can stand some cheesy lyrics if the music's good. But if the lyrics are horrible, the imagery is horrible, and the music sucks, why would I want to listen to it?

From what Seditious sent me, I REALLY enjoyed Hammerfall. Primal Fear was not bad at all. Persuader was definitely enjoyable. Blaze was really good for the more prog/heavy metal stuff he sent. Nightingale I already love. But those two Hammer fall songs fucking ruled. Primal Fear and Persuader just under that. Falconer bugged me though...And the Nostradameus was an awfully cool instrumental.

EDIT: That facebook made me lol out loud.

:D

Falconer are folk/power, so maybe that aspect of it bothered you. dunno, but Kiuas are kinda the same. never mind.

my other most favorite HammerFall song is "Never Ever" (no doubt it can be found on youtube, too--I'm 56k I can't be fucked taking the time to link ya :p), oh and "Crimson Thunder", the first of theirs I ever liked. They have a really nice instrumental too--"In Memoriam"

Like I said maybe I have to listen to it more. The folk thing is odd to me cuz I don't listen to stuff with THAT strong of a folk sound.

Hammerfall will definitely be in my next haul for sure though.

I don't think Kiuas has that much of a folk sound. Maybe on some of their songs... but for the most part they are more power than anything.

I think their newest album "The New dark Age" has less folk sounding songs than their previous material (aside from the few acoustic tracks).

That Kiuas song wasn't all that great. I like Persuader & Blind Guardian. Also, the first Angra & Firewind albums are pretty bad ass. My power metal knowledge isn't very concentrated. I will say this though - if you consider Yngwie Malmsteen power metal he's the best there is at doing it.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMxiJ47mds[/ame]

NOt 100% power metal i understand, but theres deffinately elements in there.
and its an awesome song

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4OhOm-1m3D8[/ame]

I always post Warrior Soul as an example for Kiuas. I seriously believe it's impossible to dislike. It's one of the most badass, epic songs ever. Some of their other songs are even more aggressive and dark, but Warrior Soul is just a good summary of the band.

If you want to hear really dark Kiuas, listen to On Winds of Death We Ride. No one has posted it on youtube though.

I always post Warrior Soul as an example for Kiuas. I seriously believe it's impossible to dislike. It's one of the most badass, epic songs ever. Some of their other songs are even more aggressive and dark, but Warrior Soul is just a good summary of the band.

If you want to hear really dark Kiuas, listen to On Winds of Death We Ride. No one has posted it on youube though.
People who dislike Kiuas (or the song "warrior soul") are people that I tend to avoid.

Blind Guardian (If you want harsher, speedier stuff, look into early albums. If you want more epic, go for middle period stuff. If you want proggier music, get later material. I recommend "Nightfall in Middle Earth" and "Imaginations from the Other Side")
Almah (Get the "Fragile Equality" album)
Hibria
Kamelot ("The Black Halo")
Nocturnal Rites ("Shadowland")
Silent Force ("Walk the Earth")
Sex Machineguns ("Heavy Metal Thunder")
Stormwarrior (Any album)

To tell you the truth, I'm not a huge fan of "Warrior Soul"... at least the version on the Ukko album. The version on the Winter in June EP is much better imo.

Hree is another song with awesome vocals from The New Dark Age - To Excel and Ascend:

Last edited by a moderator:

so.fucking.true

Blind Guardian (If you want harsher, speedier stuff, look into early albums. If you want more epic, go for middle period stuff. If you want proggier music, get later material. I recommend "Nightfall in Middle Earth" and "Imaginations from the Other Side")

Tbh Live is a great starting point.

Get:
Tad Morose - Matters of the Dark and then maybe Modus Vivendi.
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder and then maybe Glory to the Brave
and also
Dark Empire - Humanity Dethroned for some ballsy technical power/thrash

Not much on youtube, but...

and shitty live - can barely hear guitars

They're great live, btw.

i heard the song "possessed" and as good as it was those "growls" made me lol

Yeah, the guitarist does those. But the song is really awesome because the singer let me sing the chanting part that they do live.
It was awesome.
Woa-oh-oh, woa-oh-oh, woa-oh-oh-ohohohoh!
woa-oh-oh, woa-oh-oh, woa-oh-oh-ohohohoh!

Let me know what you think of these two.

Circus Maximus kicks ass!!

Thought Chamber has some really good stuff too!

Sorry I prefer clean vocals and technical drums.