Power Of Omens - Rooms Of Anguish

gaz

Stargazer
Oct 15, 2002
Far Beyond The Galaxy
Visit site
Power Of Omens - Rooms Of Anguish (MetalAges Records 2003)

Originally intended to be released last October, ‘Rooms Of Anguish’ (RoA) is finally available after numerous delays, most notably with their former record label.

RoA has been a long time coming, their debut, ‘Eyes Of the Oracle’ was released way back in 1998. That album was a bit of a sleeper for me, upon first listening I was a little over awed by the technical prowess of PoO, it seemed to be missing that certain something, that would draw me back to repeated plays.

There are no such problems with RoA, this album is easily more accessible, with lots more emphasis on melody, yet still retaining the complex arrangements and technical aspects. Having said this, the album isn’t instant or what I’d call an easy listen, like all good things, this music needs time for all it’s layers and arrangements to be dissected inside your head for full appreciation.

What you do get is 75 minutes of the highest quality technical progressive metal that your ever likely to want or find these days. Drummer Alex Arellan is a monster, he surely must have at least 8 arms to play his parts on RoA. Portnoy, Zonder and a like have some serious competition for the best drummer in the progmetal genre. David Gallegos not only is a fine guitarist, love his flamenco bits throughout, but all plays the keyboards. I guess I should mention the vocals, singer Chris Herring has quite a range, in the upper Geoff Tate range to be precise. His range is incredible, though he does tend to stay high more often than not.

The songs themselves are almost all epics, even the grand, 2:26 intro is. Highlights, well there are no fillers here, from start to finish not a dull moment. having said this, this music is the kind that needs to be absorbed and with that you’d be advised concentrate to the music otherwise you’ll miss many things. The mix has plenty going on in the background and new discoveries upon each subsequent listen.

A top class release and a welcome return from one of the few genuine bands that play progressive metal, that aren’t afraid to challenge the listener, with some sometimes uneasy listening, that is ultimately a rewarding experience.

10/10

www.powerofomens.com
www.metalagesrecords.com

Buy 'Rooms Of Anguish' at the Ultimate Metal Store.