Power Quest - possibly invented the Melodic Power Metal subgenre?

Indestructible

New Metal Member
Nov 17, 2010
So I was thinking a little. No other bands really see themselves as melodic power metal.....and for example....DragonForce sees themselves as extreme power metal. But Are these really genres/subgenres at all, or just how they personally see themselves?

I know that many other bands make up genres/subgenres for themselves....but the question is.....do they simply make it up, or are actually the inventors of the genre?

so if Steven Williams thinks that his band is melodic power metal....does that mean that he just personally thinks that way or his band have actually invented that genre?

thanks and I apologize in advance if I sound a bit confusing.

Well I would like to think that Power Quest invented it :rofl: but there are plenty of other bands labeled melodic power metal. I hate the word melodic because usually most music is guaranteed to have melody in it somewhere or at least most certainly power metal of all genres would. Its not like Cannibal Corpse or generic rap or anything like that so why such a specific label?

First, I hate when 'melodic' is used in a genre name... all music is melodic by nature... Second, sad to say it, but many bands did it long before Power Quest. Looong before.

Would say it's near impossible for a band to 'invent' a subgenre of metal (with the possible exception of Wintersun's insane description :lol: ).

I don't disagree with the use of 'Melodic' in a subgenre myself - it just highlights that melody is a huge focus for the band, and that's it's perhaps a little less heavy than others. That's how I've always taken it anyway. I don't think PQ invented it - but they pull it off amazingly.

So they haven't invented anything huh........

I wonder what DragonFOrce mean when they call themselvs extreme power metal. They think they're extreme huh.....and PQ thinks they're melodic huh.....this is interesting.

I take it with a grain of salt, like how Rhapsody calls themselves 'epic film score metal.' It's just a way to set them apart, but it's not really a genre...

Normally I don't pay attention to genres that much, but since this is a topic about genres, no harm in analyzing them!

I pay attention to genres such that my iTunes library is organised into certain subgenres - Power Metal / Symphonic / Melodic Death / Thrash / etc. But I don't go any deeper than that, to split things up too much seems silly.

I don't think we would claim to have invented anything! lol! I guess the closest thing to claiming anything would be that you can always tell when a song is a PQ song.....that's about as far as it goes on that front I reckon

First, I hate when 'melodic' is used in a genre name... all music is melodic by nature... Second, sad to say it, but many bands did it long before Power Quest. Looong before.

Well, this. Obviously. There's very rarely any way to truly assign one band or person to any genre or style since music has an inherently influential legacy where everyone is just standing on the shoulders of giants.