Power Metal

This reminds me of the Dragonforce forum recently trying to convince everyone that 'EPM' was a true genre even though Dragonforce was the only member of it

This reminds me of the Dragonforce forum recently trying to convince everyone that 'EPM' was a true genre even though Dragonforce was the only member of it

Yes, very annoying, that.

Wasn't CELLADOOR classified as EPM though also? I remember when they first formed and made their demo and were posting it on the DF Forums promoting it and themselves, I think they even coined themselves EPM along with DF, it's been so long ago since the true DF Forum was shut down it's hard to remember..

Haha, I actually don't remember that, and I was around during those days! You may be right.

Haha, on that subject, I swear I read somewhere a while ago that some people consider Children of Bodom Extreme Power Metal, which for their first two or three albums at least could kinda make sense, seeing as the shredding, some of the drumming and Vocals were somewhat "Extreme" i.e. similar to that of Black/Death Metal but had plenty of Neo-Classical-ness to it as well.

Haha, I actually don't remember that, and I was around during those days! You may be right.

I'm pretty sure of it, they used to play on the fact that they were extremely influenced by DragonForce and played power metal in the same style as them.

I'm pretty sure of it, they used to play on the fact that they were extremely influenced by DragonForce and played power metal in the same style as them.

Oooh, don't let Bill hear you say that. :)

The Celladorks always insisted that the similarities between the bands' styles were purely incidental, and cited late-80s PM as their inspiration, not DF. I recall an interview where Bill was not particularly happy about the DF spectre following him from Cellador to PQ (although, to be fair, every freaking band in the genre besides Nightwish gets DF comparisons these days, just look at a YouTube comment stream.)

WITH that said, DF most definitely were the first ones shilling the "extreme power metal" shtick (appropriate, perhaps, but definitely superfluous genre-splicing), and Chris IS using those exact three words as a descriptor on his ReverbNation page.

Oooh, don't let Bill hear you say that. :)

The Celladorks always insisted that the similarities between the bands' styles were purely incidental, and cited late-80s PM as their inspiration, not DF. I recall an interview where Bill was not particularly happy about the DF spectre following him from Cellador to PQ (although, to be fair, every freaking band in the genre besides Nightwish gets DF comparisons these days, just look at a YouTube comment stream.)

WITH that said, DF most definitely were the first ones shilling the "extreme power metal" shtick (appropriate, perhaps, but definitely superfluous genre-splicing), and Chris IS using those exact three words as a descriptor on his ReverbNation page.
HAHAHA!

Well Bill was not in the band back then when Chris was on the forum whoring the band and its' demo out to all the DF fans. :tickled:

Back then it was not 'coincidence' that the bands styles were similar, it was a gimmick, for lack of better word, to gather a fanbase already built up to boost their popularity.

And it worked at the time.

I wish I had a backup of the database to bring up those old posts. :D

The fact that you say Chris is using the EPM moniker on reverbnation now is pretty evident that he's going back to his roots. ;)

I've had so many descussions with people about this and most ends up all of us beeing annoyed so wont write about it here:p still intressting read!

What we call musical genres are just random words pulled out of thin air by people who, at best, have only a vague idea of what they are talking about. Once upon a time Kiss, Ted Nugent and Aerosmith were called "heavy metal". Nowadays if I made that suggestion I'd get laughed at and a pile of shredded newspaper thrown in my face. Did you know that the earliest reference to the term "power metal" was an interview with Cronos from Venom, who basically made it up on the spot when asked how he would describe Venom's music.

Relax. It's all just rock and roll, people.