Why Power Metal?

ATHALLUS

Sep 19, 2002
Gautier, Mississippi (U.S.A.)
Visit site
Well here's a question that I must pose, as it has been burning inside me for awhile now.....Why do we like Power Metal?

Now, don't get me wrong, I like other kinds of Metal, (except for Rap Metal and Alternitive or Grunge. Blechhhhhh) such as Black, Death, Thrash, Doom, Gothic, and "Basic" old school stuff, but I am wonderig what it is about Power Metal that makes it our favorite.

Is it because it is kinda "Glam"?
Not really as I was never really into the Glam stuff back in the eighties. Some bands stood out and were actually good, but most were not that great, and extremely overrated.

So, what is it?
For me, it is all about mixing 3 things: Melody, (MOST important) Atmosphere, and thrashed-out heavy riffs.

Now, while some bands don't really seem to be that "heavy" per say, others like Iced Earth have made their brand of Power Metal very heavy. While others sound kind of "light" in the distortion area.

So, I come back to the melodies. That MUST be the reason. While some idiots keep trying to say that Power Metal is "cheesy" I say 'Kiss my ass" because some people that claim to like Metal are jealous that they can't sing and can only growl and perform "Death" style vocals. So if it isn't grrrrrring it isn't real metal. Bullshit! A least it's better than what's beig passed off as "Metal" by Mtv and the like.

Now, I like some bands that use those kind of vocals, but let's face it-some people can't pull it off and it becomes obnoxious.
Anyway, the reason I like Power Metal is the combination of so many things working as one:

Melodious riffs played in the heavy, double-picked style of Thrash Metal, but with the heavy distortion of Death Metal, and the vocals clear like Glam, but better subject matter. And of course the atmosphere of different styles of other Metal influences like a touch of Gothic or Medieaval Folk (we discussed this earlier on the Forum) and so on.

For me, Power Metal is about how melodic the music can be, and how it is made heavy and kick ass in the right manner.
That's why I like it. It takes the best elements of all traditional music and fuses it all together to create the ultimate music ever. Metal has NEVER sounded better.....:worship: :headbang:

Originally posted by ATHALLUS
So, I come back to the melodies. That MUST be the reason. While some idiots keep trying to say that Power Metal is "cheesy" I say 'Kiss my ass" because some people that claim to like Metal are jealous that they can't sing and can only growl and perform "Death" style vocals. So if it isn't grrrrrring it isn't real metal. Bullshit! A least it's better than what's beig passed off as "Metal" by Mtv and the like.

Man, that is SO fucking true! :D If cheese equals guitar solos and SINGING not WHINING or GRUNTING then cheese is good! And let's face it, no matter what the naysayers say when they're making cheese accusations, that's what it boils down to. Always. Fuck those people, I've always thought that anyone who accused a band of being cheesy has no right to call themselves a Metalhead, cos 9 times out of 10 they're pissing on what constitutes Heavy Metal. It ain't elitism, or dictating what people should think or like, I think that's just THE WAY IT IS.

I personally reckon you've hit the nail on the head as to what Power Metal is as a genre. But to answer your original question...I've already said in this forum that I ain't a Power Metal boff, no way. I think I only own about two "true" Power Metal albums, and I'm waiting for two more...I've got a lot of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and ManOwaR, which contains elements of Power Metal but isn't all-out power metal.

Nah, what makes me listen to the Power Metal bands I listen to is that they basically contain all the elements of Heavy Metal that I enjoy - great vocals, great guitars, great musicianship and songwriting all over the shop, great lyrics, great atmosphere, makes you feel real happy...everything that constitues my favourites - Maiden, Priest and ManOwaR. To me it's another sub-genre that I haven't fully explored yet.

The trouble is, though, I've heard loads of names to check out, and even though they'll contain the aforementioned elements I'll enjoy, there hasn't been a real "pulling factor" for me to go out and buy their albums. I mean, DragonForce and PowerQuest I pretty much discovered myself, listened to 'em and liked 'em. But then...why should I buy an Iced Earth album when I could get Stratovarius? Or more Blind Guardian? Or what about Gamma Ray, Rage, Annihilator, Arch Enemy...fuck, I'm clutching at straws! The problem is that there's so many bands name-dropped yet no real opportunity to sample some and find out which ones I'll like over others, or which album I should buy first. Sure, could download songs, but how much more space on my computer do I need to clog before I make a decision? In time it will come... :)

Why does the sun come up!? Or are the stars just pin holes in the curtain of night!? Who knows? What I do know is that because we were born different men will fear us, and to drive us away by slagging us and calling us cheesy 80s has beens. We must learn to conceal our special gifts and harness our Power until the Gathering!

For me Power Metal because it is:

Passionate
Divine
Aggressive
Romantic
Melodic
Symphonic
Evil
Beautiful
Atmospheric
Spiritual
Sexy
Powerful
Soul Cleansing
Alive
and just down right fucking brilliant!

I think both of you have hit the nail on the head too. But Ayeka, who says you have to choose?

As a matter of fact, I like ALL those bands you mentioned Blind Guardian and Iced Earth among my favorites. While I like Iced Earth alot, my favorite is Blind Guardian.

I've never had to compromise, nor would I when it comes to my music or a band I like or hear about from others.

So DON'T choose one over the other, every band is different but they all kick ass. Trust me, you would like most of them if you love bands like Maiden or Manowar.:)

:worship: Blind Guardian are the first power metal group I heard and I still love their music. Some say they are Prog metal, I say they are BAD ASS METAL.

:worship: Iced Earth was the second power metal band I heard and I love them as well. IE is heavier than BG but both groups are awesome in their own ways. :D

I recommend you get BG and IE as soon as you can. They are a "must have" in a metalheads collection.

:headbang: Take it easy, Ayeka.

Thanks guys, yer really cool about this ^_^ I'll try and start downloading some more BG - I've been recommended Nightfall In Middle Earth and so was considering getting that when I can. I love checking out new bands, and like a said, this is like a whole untapped resource. But again, the problem is knowing where to start. I'll get onto the BG, if someone can recommend an Iced Earth album I'd appreciate that too. I'll be thanking you all at the end of the day! :D

IMO I'd go for Days Of Purgatory as it's a bit like a best of to begin with. By looking at what bands you're into I don't think Iced Earth will Disappoint you. My 2 fave studio albums are Night Of The Stormrider and The Dark Saga.

For years I had the question... which type of metal is the best? I started on Maiden and Bon Jovi, so I was always drawn to melodic stuff but I went though a time when I was younger and had some some dark times when I listened to a lot of more extreme forms of metal like melodic death metal and brutal stuff, and some great symphonic bands like Satyricon and Emperor, so I wasn't sure what was my fave because it depended on the mood.

Now I'm certain that Heavy Metal, or Power Metal, is my favourite. This takes in Priest to Maiden to Freedom Call, Gamma Ray and PQ. These days it's all I listen to, and while before I wrote music that had no definite metal direction, now my band is 100% power metal/heavy metal and it's what I usually listen to. Still I buy a few extreme releases and listen to darker music sometimes, but not as much as more uplifting melodic stuff...

Why?

I think the attitude and spirit of power metal is very positive and this is a good way to think and live your life. I also love the high level of musicianship and vocal skills, as well as the big, epic melodies and themes a lot of bands have.

And I love the diversity. A lot of Death and Black Metal bands sound the same, or very similar.

But if you look at three big german bands - Blind Guardian, Freedom Call and Scanner - you will see huge difference in the sound and music. Different songwriting, guitar leads, drums, production, keys.

By the way, if anyone here does not own Scanner - "Mental Reservation" then I suggest you buy it NOW!! :) It's an awesome example of power metal from one of the first PM bands ever (along with helloween in the 80s). I love Scanner.

Have fun!

Yes most definetly, get Days Of Purgatory, as it is an intense heavy and melodic expierence. Also, get Dark Saga and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Another excellent album by hem. Trust me, you'll like, AND Demons And Wizards, which is Blind Guardian's frontman and Iced Earth's Jon Schaffer on Guitar in ONE band woo hoo!!!!
Excellent!!!!!

GOOD places to start Ayeka!!!!!

Why do I love power metal? Because It is Perfect. It has soul, feeling, love, spirit, passion, good, evil, powerful emotion, and it's totally wonderful. Don't forget they are greatest musicians in the world. :D So, what is there not to like?

This music uplifts ours spirits to a place where we all join as one in theory. So, in one word "POWER". We are spiritual beings as this beautiful spiritual music flows through our souls we feel a form of God's love and it's called POWER METAL. :headbang: There are only a few of us special spiritual beings that enjoy God's powerful music. A gift to us "Freaks/Nonfollowers". :saint:

I know this is a little strange but I am a little strange. :D Thank you very much.

I accidentally stumbled onto this board trying to get to the opeth board(The new CD deliverance is amazing):headbang:. I saw this thread. I just figured I'd interject my thoughts. I dont like power metal. One exception to that rule is sinergy, they rock. But don't worry, im not gonna knock the musicanship because it is top notch. There are 2 main reasons. The first is the vocals. WAYY TOO HIGH. Those guys sound like mr t kicked them in the balls. To me it just doesnt sound natural. Neither do death growls, but that is besides the point. I dont really like straight up death metal either. It all sounds like the same monotonous blast beat with stupid lyrics about gore and dismemberment. The other reason i dont like power metal is the over prevalent dungeons and dragons theme. I'm not gonna start on why i dont like D&D, that'll take hours. Crap, my train of though was just derailed. I had something else to say, but it eludes me at the moment, when i think of it ill post it.

PS do you guys think nevermore is power metal? i think its more plain HEAVY ass metal with a power metal influence

:devil: stay metal :devil:

Looks like I've been recommended the entire Iced Earth discography bar Horror Show :D no worries though dudes, I think Days Of Purgatory then Dark Saga will do the trick :) Thanks a lot! In fact, it just reminded me of something...

Keep giving us cool stuff to read, guys ;) I can't comment on Nevermore cos I've only heard one of their songs (Politics of Ecstacy) and disliked it very much. :)

Originally posted by Blessed Night Child
Why do I love power metal? Because It is Perfect. It has soul, feeling, love, spirit, passion, good, evil, powerful emotion, and it's totally wonderful. Don't forget they are greatest musicians in the world. :D So, what is there not to like?

This music uplifts ours spirits to a place where we all join as one in theory. So, in one word "POWER". We are spiritual beings as this beautiful spiritual music flows through our souls we feel a form of God's love and it's called POWER METAL. :headbang: There are only a few of us special spiritual beings that enjoy God's powerful music. A gift to us "Freaks/Nonfollowers". :saint:

I know this is a little strange but I am a little strange. :D Thank you very much.

well said BNC! ...or well written :D

NP: Avalon - Eternal Flame

As far as Nevermore go, I've always bracketed them with Iced Earth, Steel Prophet etc although they have a more progressive sound than the aforementioned bands.

My Iced Earth starting point suggestion would be "Something Wicked this Way comes". Excellent album!

Some great thoughts though on the whole power metal thing though.

Damn, I think it's strange that noone has recommended Iced Earth's "Horror Show"! This album is fucking amazing IMO! Maybe not quite as good as The Dark Saga, but still an excellent piece of work!

Another one of those top notch power metal bands (who *doesn't* sing about eagles and swords all the time ;) ) is Evergrey. Maybe they're a bit more progressive than the average power act, but they have some AWESOME tunes! Their vocalist is soo good, he has one of those special voices that doesn't sound like anyone elses (which means a lot these days, when so many power-vocalists try to sound like Michael Kiske)! A great band, I recommend them alongside acts such as Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, etc.

Also look up Symphony X, they play a mean kind of power/heavy metal.

originally posted by Nefilim
(who *doesn't* sing about eagles and swords all the time )

What's wrong with Swords and EAGLES? Apparently there's a very cool dude who posts on here named after an Eagle (I wonder who that could be :confused: )

Seriously Horrorshow is a good album and 'Jack' is a masterpiece also I've not heard that much Evergrey but I was impressed with what I have heard - Do you know how many cds they have out?