Best Power Metal Formula?

ATHALLUS

Sep 19, 2002
Gautier, Mississippi (U.S.A.)
Visit site
So what mixtures does everyone think makes for the bst formula in Power Metal?

Blind Guardian has Folk/Medieval flavor with their Power Metal.:headbang:

Nightwish and Howling Syn have the Goth edged style with theirs. :)

Therion have an Operatic/Classical/Goth style to them.:D

Children Of Bodom a Death style which makes for heavy yet catchy Power Metal.:D

And then there are what I call the "straight forward" style like Hammerfall, Iron Maiden, Stratovarius and so on. They are incredible as well.

So what do you guys think makes the most best mix? :)

What a difficult one! :confused:

I don't know where to start...I guess my preferred choices are the "straight" power metal of the likes of Hammerfall etc as you mentioned Athallus

Also, the progressive power genre of band like Kamelot. So I reckon those two are my top genres.

Having said that I'm partial to a bit of goth and folk influence too:Smokin:

Cool. Sorry Steve. I didn't mean to make it a hard or difficult question, I just thought it would make for an interesting topic of discussion.:)

But no answer is wrong since we all have or favorites and sense of style.

Good response btw dude!!!!

yep, great thread dude!

i like blind guardians folk power metal. i think that is a great mix!
i also like rhapsody and angras mix of classical music and fast power metal!
i guess we can call it symphonic metal :)
and of course nightwish mix of gothic/operatic power metal and soundtrack elements!

I've had to think about this one......sign of an excellent thread I think Athallus :)

I think for me it has to be the medieval style of say Blind Guardian, Rhapsody and Freedom Call....would they come under this heading???. I like tracks with alot of acoustic guitar work and involve dragons, battles, knights and unicorns. I think I was born out of my time....:lol:

Saying that I am also a big fan of 'straightforward' power metal - Gamma Ray, Helloween, Stratovarius and Iced Earth being particular favourites. Oh...and Maiden of course!!

It'll be interesting to see what other forum regulars have to say!

:Shedevil:

I like folkish power metal. In addition to those already mentioned I'd say Falconer and Wuthering Heights.

And naturally I like a lot of these straight forward pm bands like Statovarius, Sonata Arctica, Angel Dust and so on.

Also symphonic/operatic stuff...

Oh hell, I like most power metal kinds.

Does Savatage classify as progressive power metal? Savatage rocks anyhoo.

As you probably all know Gamma Ray are my fave band of all time as I believe they cover all aspects of Power Metal:

Long epics: Rebellion, Heading For Tomorrow

Melodic ballads: Dream Healer, Heal Me

Traditional: New World Order, Eagle

Heavy: Short As Hell, Solid

I'm also a huge fan of their lyrics and style.

Wow I'm impressed with the intelligence and thought given by the members in this forum!!! Very interesting views on the mixes of styles that make up the various Power Metal sound. My own personal tastes are folk and medieval music and Gothic Operatic styles as well. I've even been known to listen to Bach and Beethoven from time to time. LOL :)

And Dragonmaiden, I know what you mean. I feel like I was born far too late myself. I love the style of dress from the medieaval times.

I wish peope still had that sense of style now.
Capes, leather gauntlets, leather boots up to the knee, now that was style!

Anyway, I hope more members will add to this thread as time progresses. Interesting discussion. Thanks brothers and sisters!! :)

for me the greatest combination for a power metal band would be
the classical or the choral part like in rhapdosy female vocalist like dark moor nightwish or amaran(got to check this band if you havent allready done it) and really fast part like in sonata arctica(weballergy or wolf and raven) and like powerquest :headbang: :headbang: